Front End

To start, you have timezone or computer time issues, you are a day ahead of yourself...

Second 'do the front end' is total bullshit which could run into the Thousands and thousands of dollars.

A slight 'bounce' at 60 when the tires go from being compressed to expanded from the centripetal force is usually a wheel balance issue or even a bad shock issue. If it is a tire issue, the 'bounce' will change if you rotate the tires from front to back. That is usually the first thing to do.

Your description could mean a lot of things.

U-joints will start a vibration at those speeds when going bad also.

Where do you feel it? In the seat of your pants or in your hands?

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Hello,
Reply to
Mike Romain

I think I have the date OK but will check BIOS on next boot.

I had the U joint done several thousand miles ago.

I feel it in the wheel.

How can I determine if the shocks need replacing? Do a bumper jump and watch it bounce?

Thanks

Sam

Reply to
Sam

Yup, the bumper bounce test still works.

You have u-joints behind the wheels too don't you? Mine had 5 in the front end and 2 in the back end on that driveshaft.

Swapping tires front to back will eliminate a tire issue quick.

Your date is fine on this post.

Mike

Sam wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Hello,

First let me state that I am a driver and that's it. I know very little about the mechanics of cars.

Last time my 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport 6 cylinder with 150k was at the shop I asked the guy how it looks and he said keep your eye on the front end. OK.

So this is what I know. The Jeep drives pretty well and the is no real instability at most speeds. At just above 60 there is a tad of bounce but just a tad. I want to keep this Jeep for another 100k. If I took the Jeep to a guy and said do the front end what would that mean? What would it cost? Is it the right thing to say? Any and all replies will be read and appreciated. Thanks. My tires are new

Sam

Reply to
Sam