fuel leaking from fuel filler

I've noticed when the tank is full on my cj-8, gas spills back out of the filler when I'm driving (bumpy roads, etc), even though the gas cap is on.

Is that sheet metal flap inside of the filler supposed to prevent this? Mine doesn't seem like it seals, but I'm not sure if it is supposed to.

Reply to
Jeff Scherb

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Replace the cap, it is dead.

The cap has a seal in it and doesn't splash leak. It even has to pass the emissions test for not leaking up to a certain pressure on my CJ7.

Caps are cheap at least. The chrome Laredo cap on mine is a basic generic gas cap that most parts stores have on the shelf.

Mike

Jeff Scherb wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain