YJ fuel pump

My 95 YJ takes more cranking to start than what seems normal. In a previous thread it was suggested to turn the key without cranking for a few seconds to allow the fuel pump to pressurize the system before cranking. When I try this I don't hear the pump working and no relay sounds. Is it possible that the pump is wired wrong and only works when cranking and when the engine is actually running?

Thanks

Reply to
nrs

Not sure about the pump wiring but if you are getting a gassy smell after starting check this (from previous thread)

"> When the engine does start there is a noticeable gas smell - would a

Yes, if the internal diaphragm has broken it could be leaking and that leak will run back into the intake. Easy enough to tell by simply removing the vac line while the engine is running, and checking for gas.

So can leaky O-rings in the fuel rail quick connectors or leaking injectors and their pressure side O-rings. Easiest way to check is to wipe the rail and injectors down, run the engine, then go back with some kleenex and see if you can pick up any fuel. Injectors can leak around the electrical connection. If they are then they have to be replaced. It is not necissary to replace them as a set, you can replace just one."

Replacing the fuel pressure regulator corrected my start up blues..... good luck

Reply to
paul

Thanks for the reply. This gives me a good stating to point to start looking.

paul wrote:

Reply to
nrs