gas filler splash back.

So my '06 unlimited has started to puke gas back at me when I fill the tank. I searched the web and found several sites listing the problem, but no solutions. Can anyone here tell me what is gong on to cause this problem? I looked under the wheel well and saw that the vent tube that goes to the top of the fill pipe is super small, like brake line tubing. And it seems to come from the two rollover protected vents. Are they replaceable? I'd love to just drill a hole in the top of the tank (plastic right?) and put in a new plain old vent fitting.

If I have to have the tank replaced, what will that cost?

Reply to
dan

I've been filling my TJ on the first click since December of '96. Any faster and the nozzle kicks off.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

What's that Lassie? You say that Scott in Baltimore fell down the old rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Wed, 19 May 2010 21:53:40 -0400:

I had that problem with my '99 TJ. I was so glad to sell that one off and get my '06 TJ unlimited. And now it starts this crap.

Reply to
dan

Can you check to make sure that the vent tubes are not blocked in some way?

Seems like it would be a whole lot cheaper than replacing the whole tank.

Reply to
Kate

Splashback can also be caused by the gas station pumps either not shutting off properly or having too high a flow rate.

had more than one pump barf all over my shoes.

Reply to
DougW

What's that Lassie? You say that Scott in Baltimore fell down the old rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Wed, 19 May 2010 21:53:40 -0400:

I had to do that with my '99 TJ. I was glad to be rid of that problem when I traded it in, but now this is worse.

Reply to
dan

What's that Lassie? You say that Kate fell down the old rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Tue, 22 Jun 2010 16:12:45 -0500:

I have looked at the vent tubes and all looks OK. No kinks in the rubber parts, connections to the tank fittings seem ok too.

Reply to
dan

What's that Lassie? You say that DougW fell down the old rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Tue, 22 Jun 2010 19:20:18 -0500:

I thought that too at first, but it happens when using pumps that didn't do it before.

Reply to
dan

Did they (recently ?) change to vapor recovery hoses/nozzels? I've found that to be a problem at some MA stations, and the NH ones I use never give me a problem.

Reply to
PeterD

What's that Lassie? You say that PeterD fell down the old rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Mon, 28 Jun 2010 07:53:39 -0400:

Nope. Same pumps and hoses.

Reply to
dan