Yikes - The worst gas mileage ever

I pulled into the driveway and thought that I smelled a strong gasoline odor. I left the engine running, popped the hood, and saw gas literally spraying all over the fuel rail area.

A quick jump to the ignition key while being thankful that I have made the proper sacrifices to the Miata gods, so no fire. A glance at the gas gauge showed a full 1/4 down, about 30 miles after I filled it up.

The rubber fuel tube probably won't cost as much as the gas that was wasted. Estimated labor time to get to and replace this split rubber tube, maybe

3 hours if I'm lucky, could be as high as five, lots of stuff to remove and re-install.

Crap, at least it didn't happen on a trip. I'm surprised that it was able to run with that large a leak.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Been dreaming about MGs again, eh Pat? Good job on dodging the bullet.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Aintcha glad ya quit smoking?

Reply to
XS11E

If it was a Sunbeam Tiger, it would have been up in flames.

Reply to
Ken Lyons

Heh.

Pure luck. I am liking the idea of owning a mostly-stock Miata again more and more. The high temperatures, high performance, high fuel pressures, & high pain in the ass have not been worth the extra power to me. Have to admit though, it is fun to beat up on NC's with my 18 year old Miata. :-)

My last Miata went 5 years and never stranded me once until it was wrecked. This one has gone down 4 times in 3 years, luckily near a house where I could work on it every time so far.

I have a feeling that the partnership between myself and my current Miata is going to end soon. I want Konis again, too. I finally admitted how much more I liked them with stock springs than the FM coil-overs with KYB adjustables.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Nobody smokes in my car. Let me re-phrase that, no guy smokes in my car. A pretty girl can smoke a cigarette, a crack pipe, light a hibachi, whatever...

Ok, that basic joke was stolen from a real comedian.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Kinda neat looking car. Were they known for burning up?

On the subject though, this rubber fuel line is in an area that does not seem to be badly subjected to the extreme heat of the turbo.

Still, this line lasted only 4 years and about 38,000 miles. I am pretty good at inspecting things under the hood, I have always been decent at it and a power-modified car requires it even more, but I probably would not have noticed this fuel line problem until it was too late under routine inspection.

Is there a possibility that the high-pressure fuel pump is causing the problem? If so, is there a fuel line designed to handle this higher than normal pressure? It has that fancy $260.00 Vishnu fuel rail, but the rubber hose is a very weak link, it would appear. I have an extinguisher in the trunk, but if it had caught on fire, that would have probably caused enough damage to total out and salvage the car. Coil packs, wires, injectors, it adds up fast.

Here I go again, at least it is a nice day to wrench away....

Pat

Reply to
pws

I don't know what sort of fuel line you have. I used stainless braided lines for everything flexible on my modified Nissan Fairlady. Not only because it is strong and wear-resistant but because it looks good too. I got mine in Japan but I know that it is widely used by hotrodders here. Pick the right sort and it will resist pressures found in hydraulic systems.

Reply to
John McGaw

As you've surely realized now, it's worthless there. It's gotta be where you can snatch it on your way out the door; seconds matter. Rollbar?

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

It looks like any standard fuel injector line. As AR as the previous owner was, I would have thought that he would have gone with what you are talking about, but a few things have surprised me on what he did. Lots and lots of extra money here, then save $15.00 here......

I'll take my hose in and match one up to a fuel-injected capable stainless braided line, probably on Monday. I can see it, just couldn't get to it without removing part of the manifold, so it will look better once it is installed.

Thanks! Getting there.....This man knows how to party on a Saturday night. :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Oh man, then I will be "that guy" with the thing strapped on there for all to see. I might rather burn..... ;-)

Just kidding, you are correct that it would have been worthless in the trunk. Well, not entirely worthless, but it would not have saved the car from major damage in the time it takes it get it from the trunk and into action.

I have seen one Miata with an extinguisher system for the engine bay. The switch was disturbingly close to the gated shifter, but it had a "Star Trek" style safety cover that had to be flipped up first.

It looked pretty cool. I would have written it off as frivolous before now, but I can see how it could come in handy. Still, I am going on 23 years with no engine fires of any sort, knock on sheet metal......

Pat

Reply to
pws

I knew a guy who wouldn't allow people to wear shoes in his car! You had to sit on the edge of the seat leaving your feet out of the car, remove your shoes and then you could put your feet in. What a nutjob he was!

Reply to
XS11E

Heh, or you could be the guy who makes his date carry the fire bottle in her lap. "Buckle up, and please don't pull the pin unless I tell you."

I once had that job at a garage that did engine conversions. The first test drive was always with the hood still off, and I rode shotgun with the extinguisher. Never had to use it, but you never know.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

That's what is great about the 5-point harness. Those things always need "adjusting". ;-)

Cool, I have still never worked a job at a garage. Most of my auto work experience is from, "just coming up with enough money for the parts, so I'd better be able to replace them myself".

Pat

Reply to
pws

Is this guy still alive? ;-)