Gasket Questions

I am getting ready to change a noisy lifter in my '90 YJ 4.2L. Three questions:

1) The Haynes manual says to use Perfect Seal sealing compound on the head gasket for the 4.2 L. I have an OEM replacement head gasket. I thought I had read in this newsgroup that no sealer should be used with the head gasket. Any thoughts on this? 2) From what I have been able to find, early 4.2s used a gasket that covers both the intake and exhaust manifolds and later engines were equipped with an intake manifold gasket only. Since I haven't gotten things apart yet, I don't know what kind I have. If you use the full length gasket that covers the intake and exhaust manifolds, do you still need gasket that is for the intake manifold only. Even if the existing gasket was the one for the intake only, would I be better off going to the gasket that covers both? 3) I have the aluminum valve cover. Whats the best sealant to use on the cork gasket? Is it best to put the sealer on both sides? Thin coat or thick?

Thanks Joe in Maui HI

Reply to
Joe and Joann

I am not sure about the head gasket sealer, I don't use any and didn't on mine and two others and they all run good.

Is there any reason you need to change the intake or exhaust manifold gaskets? I sure don't bother removing them just to pull off a head. I only undo the exhaust pipe and the linkages and lift it all off together.

I have only seen the one piece gaskets though.

I use RTV 'ultra' or sensor safe silicone and put a skim on both sides of the cork after making the cover and edge of head spotless first. Really spotless. I am leak free. The cork does weep enough to be damp like it should, but no drips or runs. One big trick is to let it set for the 24 hours it calls for a cure before breathing on the crap.

Mike

Joe and Joann wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I also have a 93 yj with the 4.0 with a noisy lifter, my question is: will the lifters come out without removing the cylinder head? My factory manual claims it can be done both ways, true??

Reply to
Miguel Londono

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

What kind of noise does a "noisy lifter" make? I'm curious because my '02 TJ

4.0 has an intermittent "thunking" sound (with accompanying vibration) at idle. I've no idea what that could be, and because it doesn't consistently do it I haven't been able to take it to a shop.

/Peter

Reply to
Peter Pontbriand

Mine has been making intermittant lifter noises for 100K miles. I just left it alone. It passes smog. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

It makes a tapping/clicking noise. A valve only opens once every second engine stroke so a valve tap is slower than say piston slap which happens every stroke. If you put a timing light on, the valve will tap every second flash.

Some of those 4.0 engines do suffer from the occasional piston slap when cold. This won't hurt anything and cannot be repaired without a total engine job.

Mike

Peter P>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
twaldron

Ok, thanks. It's not a 'when cold' thing though - if anything it happens more when the engine is warm than when it is cold. The sound seems to occur about four or five times per second when idling at 500 RPM, which makes it 1 sound per 2 rotations of the crank. So, more likely a valvetrain thing than piston slap, right?

Can much harm come from ignoring it?

/Peter

consistently

Reply to
Peter Pontbriand

A noisy valve normally won't hurt anything. If it gets worse, it needs attention.

Mike

Peter P>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
twaldron

Yes, "knock" is a pretty good description of the sound. I can feel it in the pedals too, not just hear it. This is not the NV3550 tranny noise by the way, this definitely comes from the engine.

/Peter

Reply to
Peter Pontbriand

Reply to
twaldron
2002 TJ Sport, about 40000 miles.

/Peter

Reply to
Peter Pontbriand

Reply to
twaldron

Will do if I ever get a chance. The trouble being the intermittent nature of the problem. It won't do it if I'm ready for it with a stethoscope in hand or mechanic nearby. It's usually a stoplight at a busy intersection or something like that where it crops up.

/Peter

Reply to
Peter Pontbriand

Mike Romain did pass the time by typing:

An exhaust leak back at #6 will also sound quite a bit like a lifter ticking. Best method for determining the noise source is a mechanics stethoscope.

Reply to
DougW

That's typical of lifter noise. BAD on cold start_up ... goes away when oil pressure surges ..... then re_establishes when oil temp comes up and viscosity goes down.

Reply to
Rod Gramlich