Getting Rid of Computer in Current TJ (without engine swap)

I would enjoy sharing some of those Scottish beers with you Dave, I hear you Scots have some great beers! I hope it's not too long before my family and I can get to Scotland, it'd be great to meet you after all these years.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Sounds like a plan !

Dave Milne

Folks can do the opposite swap with little difficulty it seems so if the

258 intake fits on their 4.0 head swaps, it would fit on a TJ's head.

Companies like Mallory make points distributors still. I was looking into going points in my 86 to eliminate all the 'computers'.

I do not know how tied in the body computer is but it still is a potential trouble spot. It now controls stuff like the voltage regulator and speedo maybe. Maybe the speedo has it's own module, I am not sure.

Maybe he could retrofit a real alternator in there like a GM one wire and if the speedo has it's own brain it would be ok or maybe retrofit a mechanical one.

I personally think the 4.0 could be made into a real power house with a carb, nice intake, headers and a hot spark. ;-)

Mike

Ted Azito wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

One wire alternators, for those who haven't figured it out, are Bad News.

"Contact" magazine, a publication for experimental aircraft people who want to Experiment and not build cookie cutter airplanes with overpriced junk Lycomings,explains this in a recent excellent article. They would not appreciate me scanning it and posting it but it essentially says that one wire alternators have a failure mode, voltage runaway, that is the most damaging possible thing.

The auto companies don't build one wire alternators even though it would be easier and cheaper. They would save on wire, connectors, et al.

A really professional electrical system install would have both BAT and ALT master switches, just like Cessnas and Pipers that use auto alternators (with the FAA's blessing like Hot Dogs at Friday night church carnivals in the minnow muncher days, and as necessary...) and a crowbar circuit on the buses for engine and body ECMs, and the radio.

Reply to
Ted Azito

WTF are you talking about?

We drive Jeeps here. The GM alternators are some of the better ones out there.

All you want to do is talk off topic bull shit. Who gives a crap what an airplane needs or some airplane bozo thinks it doesn't need? This group does have a Charter you know and you sure don't seem to fit here.

Mike

Ted Azito wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike, it's getting increasingly difficult to distinguish your postings from Bill H.'s The tipoff is usually yours have fewer mispellings and typos...

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I'm sorry, should I have started a new thread? Just found it interesting that after a week or more the thread goes off topic, Mike pulls out the charter whine...

Talk about calling the kettle black...

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Hey, the jerk replied to my post with off topic bull shit.

So just where is this pot, asshole?

'I' didn't post a bunch of off topic BS in that thread and I left the folks alone. Buddy decides to call me wrong or something with only off topic bull shit to back him up and well, I call them like I see them.

'He' obviously has no clue in the world what I am talking about and just wanted to post his usual bull shit to stir things.

Just like 'you' are doing!

Mike

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

So looking back over your posts leads me to believe 'you' have serious issues with this newsgroup's Charter.

'You' seem to want to jump me when I mention it.

Is this because 'You' are the one starting and continuing a lot of these off topic bull shit posts so figure if you can put me down or get folks to not take the Charter seriously, 'you' can still get away with posting your political and off topic BS???

That is how you come across from this end.

And 'you' have the nerve to call a pot and kettle on 'me' in 'this' thread.

Mike

Matt Macchiarolo wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

The pot was Bill, not you. But now you are equally deserved.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Ummm.

By "one wire alternator" I mean the Aftermarket modified alternator that has only the output terminal, nothing else.

The standard internal regulator GM alternator is a "two wire" alternator, it has the output terminal and a exciter wire. This is a good alternator and I have one on my Benz, the previous owner did the conversion. No one says this isn't a good alternator.

As far as the stock TJ alternator, I can't believe there isn't a convenient alternative to the regulator based in the computer, and in fact there is.

I just meant to point out that the true one wire alternator, which is sold mostly through street rod outlets (O'Reilly and AutoZone, whom I just called, all knew off them but didn't have one. Said they were bad.) is not a great idea.

Reply to
Ted Azito

I have stayed away from this discussion for as long as I can.

Why in Hell would anybody want to take off a fuel injection system in favor of a carburator?

I just can't get over the feeling you guys are making a giant leap backwards. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

Reply to
CRWLR

LOL!

I have even priced out points style distributors for mine so I can get rid of all the engine electronics! Man when you are over 100 miles from the nearest parts and 30 or more from phone service, it is so nice to have things you can just trail fix.

Fond memories of coming out with a gas can on the hood and one once in the back seat gravity feeding the engine....

Plus you can 'tweak' mechanical systems so nice. Very little you can do to boost a 4.0. Add a carb, nice intake and headers and a hot spark with a custom timing curve and that puppy could fly.....

And yes, I for one actually 'like' getting under there and tweaking up the carb so it just purrs or thumps depending on what I want to do that day.

Mike

CRWLR wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

The Delco 'one wire' is actually a three wire. They have the excite and sense and battery wires. In a stock CJ and early YJ format, the sense wire is just tagged to the battery wire and the field wire is off the coil power wire.

The 'one wire' hack version just doesn't hook up the field so it needs

3000 rpm to turn on. These are crap for a low rpm Jeep.

The version they sell has a crappy regulator that 'leaks' voltage easy enough to be 'self energizing'. It is the same alternator. I can see how they could consider this a 'bad' thing. LOL!

You even have to put some diode protection in the field wire with some aftermarket ignitions or the alternator can run away with the Jeep, but wired right, they are one of the easiest and best to convert to from any system.

Mike

Ted Azito wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Getting a reluctant carburetor to work right is self-abuse.

RJ

Reply to
RJ

LOL!

Naw, carbs and me came to an 'arrangement' back in the 70's..... I won't use the big hammer on them and they will behave if cussed at 'just right! ;-)

Even when broken though, I can still make one work enough to get me to a phone....

Mike

Mike Romain

daily self abuse :-)

Dave "Twin SUs" Milne '91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

RJ proclaimed:

Yeah, but Mike would probably be the first guy I'd expect to do a conversion to SU carbs and Lucas electrics on his jeep....

Reply to
Lon