Check Engine Light

I have a 96 mustang gt 4.6 automatic. The check engine light comes on for a while and then it goes off for a while, this has been going on
for the last 4-5 years. I take it for a smog check when the light is not on at it passes everytime. My question is, my car started running bad, knocking and hesitating while trying to accelaerate (sorta like a car feels when its just running out of gas) the check engine lights started blinking on and off. Any idea what it means when it blinks on and off? it only does it sometimes. Anyways its at the mechanic right now. I'm going to get my Intake Manifold replaced. He said it was leaking and got on the spark plugs. Thats why its causing the car to run like that. I know all about this Manifold. Ford replaced it several years ago but it looks like they replaced it with a sililar plastic housing model. If its leaked on the spark plugs does it mean that after i replace the manifols and the plugs my engine is damaged? Please, Please advise is so needed. 155,000 miles on this car, well maintained. Thanks

You obviously like the car... but like an older pet, it requires some additional care and knowledge on the part of the owner.

You can neglect a modern car -as you have- and it will make 155,000 fairly easily. As yours did. You may think you maintained it well by changing the oil frequently, but if you'd used the right oil three oil changes could have got you there... not advisable but still running well.
I suggest you sell it, as you never bothered to have the codes checked or even seem to understand you can have the system read out to find the intermittent problem which probably has to do with the EGR system. Once it's fixed.. suggest a new Mustang.. probably the v6 would replicate your 96 performance.
Sell it to a guy or kid who knows cars.. or wants to learn.
you pay..DEAL with it!
It was checked out twice by Ford. The first time they found nothing wrong. The second time they said it was an emissions adj. etc. $450.00 to repair. It was repaired but keeps coming back on and ford said it was not a concern for the money to repair. I decided against it. I'm not a mechanic but i do take very good care of my care and i trust in those that know also, like yourself. Every Maint etc has been performed faithfully on this car at the appropriate mileage.You did not answer my question. I did not ask if i should sell the car. I know a crusty old geezer like yourself can still answer my question
: It was checked out twice by Ford. The first time they found nothing : wrong. The second time they said it was an emissions adj. etc. $450.00 : to repair. It was repaired but keeps coming back on and ford said it : was not a concern for the money to repair. I decided against it. I'm : not a mechanic but i do take very good care of my care and i trust in : those that know also, like yourself. Every Maint etc has been : performed faithfully on this car at the appropriate mileage.You did not : answer my question. I did not ask if i should sell the car. I know a : crusty old geezer like yourself can still answer my question
Well, this is always my stock answer to the symptoms that you are having... may as well toss it in. When was the last time you cleaned the MAF ??? It can cause the problem you are having and when mine went sour I had all sorts of trouble getting it properly diagnosed. Finally I just gave it a go, and it was like a miracle.
It's a cheap thing to try, only takes about 30 minutes and $10 for a spray can of throttle body cleaner - so what the heck!
Kate
Oh and when you DO figure out what the problem is, please be kind enough to post the results, that way the knowledge is there for others :)
Good luck to you!

No, there is probably no internal damage
There are NO "emission Adjustments" that I can think of... your car is now -GASP- DIGITAL!!!!! It either works all the time, or some of the time or it doesnt work at all... no knobs to adjust, no screws to set.
If you're going to ask us questions you are going to have to supply some facts.
We need to know the code stored in your PCM. Keeping your car in good health has evolved in much the same way medicine has ALWAYS worked best. The patient / driver should be the primary researcher.
The new technology has actually made this easier... unless you dont like hanging around the class that fix their own cars. ;)
you pay..DEAL with it!
Thanks for the advice people. I will post the codes and how it turned out just as soon as i get the info. Thanks again. I found out more here than i'v been searching for the last several months. This is a great group.
: Thanks for the advice people. I will post the codes and how it turned : out just as soon as i get the info. Thanks again. I found out more here : than i'v been searching for the last several months. This is a great : group.
Good luck, and c'mon back!
Kate
I love my '72 mach 1!!! No emission crap, no computer, no codes! Just pure fun!!! -Dave

Yeah , right... and it's been known to be able to pass as many as 10 gas statiosn without a refill.
If it doesnt have 'emission crap' it's only becuase someone took it off.
you pay..DEAL with it!
The only emission part on the car is a fuel vapor recovery cannister. Also, I did actually pass 11 gas stations once! -Dave

that's my 2 cents