Getting Rid of Computer in Current TJ (without engine swap)

Ah, yes... blow an ignition module and you ARE going to walk to get the replacement while on several occasions my old Dodge PU came home with a piece of cardboard isolating one of the pair of dual points. Redundancy and simplicity built in. Of course, it would be nice if you had a carb built to that same standard but about all the ones produced in recent years have so much crap hung on them (by gov't fiat or for exoctic performance) that they can barely perform their basic function of delivering a combustible mixture to the cylinders when they ARE working right.

And a decent toolkit was a hammer, a screwdriver, a pair of pliers and one roll of bailing wire. I guess that nowadays you would also have to add a roll of duct tape, tho .

Reply to
Will Honea

You got it, I was looking at Mallory dual point setups. The stock Carter BBD is pretty forgiving for running crappy when messed up. It will run really crappy, but the operative word is 'run'.

I actually have real hay wire on board right next to the duct tape...

Mike

Mike Romain

LOL! Man I have had fun with dual SU setups on a bunch of vehicles. Minis, MGBs, Volvos....

Dodge '6 packs' were more fun though....

As far as that prince of darkness and warm beer goes, forget Lucas! Lucas refrigerators, sheesh.... No wonder the poor Brits had to learn to like warm beer.... ;-)

Mike

Mike Romain

Any given engine will make more power with FI than it will with a carburetor, because of venturi drop. Really serious normally aspirated FI setups use slide throttles so there is no restriction at WOT.

Mechanical fuel injection is sort of a lost art but still can be done. As can EFI setups with redundant boxes-race cars do this sometimes. EFI gives you full controllability and (with the aftermarket box) reprogrammability with a laptop or PDA.

The best carburetor setup for full throttle performance is still the IDA or DCOE Weber, one barrel per cylinder. The Italians got it right, although a single four barrel Holley on a V-8 is probably easier to sort out.

Reply to
Ted Azito

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

For a V-8 or V-6 a Holley four barrel-one size smaller than everyone else says you need-is the simplest and probably cheapest way to go. For an inline, nothing but nothing works like the classic sidedraft Webers. Once you set them up with the right jets, emulsion tubes and linkage, they stay that way. And they look cool, have a lot of cool history, and if you look carefully you can get them halfway reasonable.

But FI is still going to have more flexibility and top end and you keep those cylinder walls in better shape on shutdown.

Reply to
Ted Azito