Grand cherokee 96' power cable problem

is there any hole to install power cable from hood to cabin for my amplifier? I can't find it! Thanks!

Reply to
mario

Without cutting or drilling anything:

hole in the inner fender*, between the right fender and body, feed in through the grommit that carries the wiring to the right front door**, under the dash, down the right front kick panel cover, under the front door sill cover, under the b-pillar cover, under the rear door sill cover, under the carpet to the space under the back seats, under the rear carpet to wherever you are mounting the amp.

  • Where the wire feeds through the right inner fender, it will chafe. Over 80k miles, it wore through most of the shielding of the cable I used (indoor/outdoor AC extension cord - and yes, it works just as well as Monster cable). Insulate it there and fuse protect at the battery!
** This will be visible with the door open. Cover with split loom and no one will notice.

I put a computer in the rear of my '96 and powered it that way. The audio, display, and IR receiver wiring ran under the carpet along the transmission tunnel to the center console. I removed the trip computer module and installed a custom made computer display. It worked well.

-rev

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

thanks!!that will help alot!!I own the car for 2 weeks now,so i don't know everything about him.. I was trying to find double DIN dashboard to put Alpine Iva W200Ri multimedia,but no success.. do you have any expirience with that?or will it have to be homemade dashboard made with fiberglass?i would rather buy if it's possible!

Reply to
mario

It would take a lot of very custom work to install a double DIN head unit. The display I built fit in the space normally occupied by the trip computer. I made it out of aluminum with a smoked plexiglass face plate. The factory trim piece covered over all the jagged edges so it looked like a professional job. Underneath the plastic was a vacuum flourescent character display and an IR receiver. I programmed the computer to respond to a credit card sized remote control from a Kenwood stereo and play MP3s through the stock stereo. It looked damn cool with the power on. With the power off, it blacked out completely and looked just like the OEM trip computer.

That was in 2000 and you couldn't buy anything like that at a store. Today you can, and for a lot less than I spent in parts.

So, unless you're really skilled with fiberglass and plastic fabrication, you're stuck with OEM, single DIN, or an aftermarket GM/ Chrysler sized unit.

-rev

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Reply to