Need help diagnosing brake problem on 91 Cherokee

I have a 91 Cherokee 4L Auto. A few days ago, the front brakes started smelling hot and the ABS light came on steady. I changed the pads and cleaned and lubricated the rails with high temperature brake grease. The light stayed on steady. No codes in the computer.

I took it out for a test drive and everything seemed fine. The wheels were cool and were not dragging. I figured one of the ABS sensors on the front might have a loose wire. I didn't have time to look at it before work the next morning.

I drove it to work 20 miles. The ABS light was still on steady. The brakes worked fine and did not feel or smell hot when I arrived. They did not feel like they were dragging.

I drove it home after work. Again the ABS light stayed on. When I arrived home the brakes were dragging and smoke was coming out of both brakes as viewed from above and below the vehicle. Both wheels felt hot. I pulled it into the garage and put a floor fan on both wheels to cool them.

After the brakes and wheels were cool, I started it up and backed it up and forward a few feet. The ABS light did NOT come on. The brakes were not dragging. In fact, I could push it by hand when it was in neutral.

Could the ABS system cause the two front brakes to partially apply or drag? Why did the ABS light suddenly go out. I am thinking I am dealing with a failing master cylinder. I have done many brakes in my life so I am sure I didn't screw that up. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Gary

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III