2000 Grand Cherokee- lights and taillights come on for no reason

Hi, My wife's 2000 jeep grand cherokee has a problem with the headlights and taillights coming on at random times throughout the night. The neighbor sees it happen most mornings. They will come on for no reason for a few minutes and then shut off, all while the truck is not running and no key in the ignition. Does anyone know what is going on? Is there something set that we are unaware of or is something malfunctioning? Thanks for any info, Kirk

Reply to
Kirk Frei

Kirk Frei did pass the time by typing:

Automatic headlamps? You could try putting the switch in "off" rather than "auto" and see what happens. I'd suggest calling a local dealership and find out if there are any TSBs dealing with that issue.

Headlamps/taillamps are also controlled by the alarm system but since the horn isn't honking that's probably not the fault.

The only lights at night issue I've ever had was caused by water creap into the door harness, that caused the inside lites to come on and the alarm to go off if it was set. Never had anything turn the lights on, but then again my 93 has less computer stuff in that circuit than your 00 does.

Reply to
DougW

Kirk,

I had the same problem with my 2001. The dealership replaced the headlight switch stalk. I had this done just this past Wednesday, so I can't say with certainty the problem is fixed. However, I have not seen the same behavior as yet.

JJMcK

Kirk Frei wrote:

Reply to
jjm9321

Reply to
Kirk Frei

Have you found out anything about this. We have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee and thought we were going crazy because our lights go on and off. They don't stay on for more that 5 seconds or so. First the park lights blink like you are unlocking the doors and then the headlights come on. We do have automatic lights and we did have it set on that and have now turned them to off. We just did that last night so we don't know if that fixed the problem or not. Let me know if you have found out what it was and if the problem is fixed. Thanks!

Reply to
twiggins33