GW Gauge Readings Restored

As a follow-up to an earlier posting regarding low oil pressure readings, I finally got around to switching my instrument cluster BACK to the original cluster, and PRESTO--all my gauge readings are back to normal, with oil pressure now reading 45-50 psi when underway instead of 30 and reading 35 at idle instead of 13.

I'm much happier, because although I know that these are merely "readings" that don't necessarily reflect actual pressure in the engine, I like to monitor the values and note trends, and am therefore glad to have my original baseline numbers back on the gauge.

Reply to
randallbrink

Odd, was the new cluster a direct replacement or did it come from a different model/year? That has me wondering if there are any setting jumpers or calibrations for that cluster.

Reply to
DougW

different model/year? That has me wondering if there are any

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

My Valiant and my old Dodges had something like that, grounded through the instrument cluster grounding screws. If those ever worked loose it would fry the gauge regulator. The second time it happened to me it was ten years later and I forgot.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

rent model/year? =A0That has me wondering if there are any

If there are any jumpers or ways to adjust, I couldn't find them. The cluster was a direct replacement from the same model and year.

Reply to
randallbrink

Does the dash run off a computer feed? If so there might be a calibration dance you have to do with a scantool. Some vehicle do this on startup but others require fine tuning.

Reply to
DougW

Most OEM cluster gauges are crap. If you need the actual numbers, put real sensors and gauges in and you will have "some" peace of mind. Then that $15 themostat will go bad and then bite you hard in the rear.

Last summer,I was driving my family out to seafood and had my 4.0L overheat and blow all the hosen including the overflow reservior. The in-dash temp gauge did not budge. Had my OBD2 scantool with me. Plugged it in and saw the ECU see a engine temp of 230. It wasn't my JEEP. It was my Land Rover Discovery.

Ouch. lesson 1: never trust the gauges in the dash. lesson 2: always carry your scantool, even after the meltdown.

Adam

Reply to
Adam 1996 Cherokee Sport v6 Kb2jpd FDNY*EMSC

Yea, I've got AutoMeter gauges watching several things the "normal" gauges don't. O2 sensor, Vac/Boost, Fuel Pressure. Might add oil pressure, but so far the only problem I've had with the ZJ is that stupid oil pressure sender failing. It would be nice to have an ODB III or even II for my ZJ, but alas it's too old for that. Amazing the amount of computers and doodads that replaced a simple gauge and some wire.

Reply to
DougW

This model year was approaching the point where something like that might have been implemented. However, I could see nothing directly behind the instrument cluster that would suggest that the gauges were computer-driven, other than the cannon plugs for the circuit boards-- but I know that these could be regulated by computer inputs from elsewhere.

The argument against this is that the gauge cluster indications immediately returned to normal when I reinstalled the original instrument cluster. Then again, if that cluster had been "programmed" for the correct readings...

Reply to
randallbrink

I agree with you that those new temp scan tools are a great development.

This overheating and hose-bursting happened to me two Grand Wagoneers back. On the Interstate, of course. But the noteable point was that the water temp gauge only began to rise at the point where the hose was ready to blow. That was on the old-style (1984) gauges, but I doubt the new ones would give you any more warning.

I'm not so concerned about having pinpoint accuracy of pressures and temperatures, but only that I can see that the engine is operating at values I know to be "normal" for that engine. I.e., I like to see around 45 psi on the oil pressure at cruise, and somewhere north of 13 psi at hot idle. My substitute gauge cluster was showing near zero at idle, and this worried me every time I looked at it, so I am glad to have the old portrayal back.

Reply to
randallbrink