real oil gauge readings

hi,

part of rebuilding my s/c 95 m-ed was to replace the idiot oil pressure guage with a real one from an earlier car, (93 i think). went it is fairly cold, the gauge reads 30 + to almost 60# on higher rev's but once hot, it reads less than 30 and as low as ~10#.

does this sound right?

i also found the water temp sender on ther left side of the back side of the motor, so my water gauge works now too...next is the a/c trouble shooting, (elec i think) tia, peter

Reply to
peter

Normal pressures using the recommended 10W30 vary with oil temperature and rpm.

Cold idle 50-60 psi, cold 4000 rpm 80-90 psi. Hot idle 20-30 psi, hot 4000 rpm 50-60 psi.

10 psi seems a little low, but as long as it comes up with rpm I wouldn't worry. Miata gauges aren't terribly accurate anyway.
Reply to
Lanny Chambers

i'm assuming that your oil is topped off and the oil was changed recently. my gauge will occasionally show lower pressure when i'm a quart low and that goes away when the oil is topped off and/or when the oil is changed.

-------- "any words spelled incorrectly are probably typing errors"

Reply to
barry

~10 psi --That's low for a motor in good condition with low mileage.

"excellent point, it is a new motor so i did not check but i wont forgot this idea. peter"

Reply to
Chuck