hard to start

i have a 91 jeep cherokee 4.0 its hard to start at first when i shut it off it restarts just fine i let it sit about 15 min its hard to start again

Reply to
curbrider

At that age, I would suspect a dirty computer sensor connection affected by heat.

The likely one is the CPS plug and socket sitting on top of the exhaust manifold behind the throttle body.

The other two that contribute are the TPS and IAC on the throttle body.

I would recommend you open these plugs and sockets and clean them with a spray contact cleaner. An electronic contact cleaner is the best, but WD40 will work ok too. I use dielectric grease on the plug seal skirts when I put it back on. They seem to stay cleaner longer with it on.

Then I would hear about it if I didn't mention the ground strap from the engine head to the firewall. ;-) That gets dirty and actually crumbles with age as well. Because it is on the head, heat affects it too.

If you haven't put a new distributor cap and rotor in recently, they would be worth a look at or replacement. That 'usually' acts up in humidity more than heat though....

Mike

curbrider wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I have been dealing with this hard to start jeep for six months the cleaning did the trick i second URR THE MAN!!!

Reply to
curbrider

curbrider proclaimed:

Describe "hard to start" a bit more completely.

If hard to start means that the engine cranks for a few seconds before it starts....and only does this after the engine has been off for a while, the next time you try it first turn the key to the on position but do not try to start. You should hear the fuel pump run for a couple seconds and then quit. If you can then turn the key off and back on and it starts, you have a pressure leakdown.

Reply to
Lon

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

On my '93 XJ that was easy to test... take off the bleeder port cap, and depress the Schrader valve with a small sharp instrument... have a rag handy, and wear eye protection! You should get a spurt of gasoline under pressure if your system is working well.

The safest way to do this would be with a fuel-pressure bleeder-gauge rig... pretty cheap, and indispensable when troubleshooting FI problems. Mine cost about $40... bonus, you can fill your mower without sucking on a tube! __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III