hard to start

Sometimes my 85 CJ7 is very hard to start. It cranks very slowly and eventually turns over after about a minute of trying. It only happens when the engine is hot. What could it be?

Reply to
Jim85CJ

Jim85CJ did pass the time by typing:

I'd be checking battery, battery cables, and engine ground strap.

Not sure about all the electrics on your year. If it was my old C-10 I'd be checking the carb to see if it's delivering fuel to the engine or if the line to your fuel pump has gotten vapor locked. (side note, on the 305 the fuel pump lines run close to the manifold and in HOT weather can vaporize causing the pump to suck gas, a bit of wrap-on heat tape works wonders)

Reply to
DougW

Would vapor lock cause the engine to crank hard? It almost feels like the starter is fighting some hard compression.

Reply to
Jim85CJ