Haz-Fest Winter 2003

L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
twaldron

Yea...ME! =)

Made a buddy take a few pics of my rig, most of them are of the other guys. Although he got a few on his camera of my rig too. Who knows, I might make the final cut in the video too?? LOL.

Digital is cheap. Film is better quality. Digital is harder for action shots. I hate breaking my 35mm or getting it muddy. Digital it is.... =)

Reply to
jbjeep

Reply to
twaldron

I used my Nikon D1x at several rock crawling events this summer and the results were superb. No shutter lag, but only a 9 frame buffer and only

3fps. Newer dSLRS will be even better.

The more "point & shoot" digitals are really too slow for any action shooting unless you shoot very small JPEG files.

Reply to
Jerry McG

Reply to
twaldron

Thanks! Yep, cant afford the type of digital I need for this, so I just make do. Any of the big week long trips I usually take film and digital both. But not weekend stuff anymore.

Reply to
jbjeep

BUNCH of film cameras. <

I still have my 2 Nikon film cameras, but after a year or so of shooting digital I don't know why. I took a film body to Moab this year because I didn;t want to lug the D1x and a laptop around, but ended up going "where's my preview" all weekend. Haven't shot 10 rolls of film total since the D1x showed up. I did pick up an Nion 5400 just for Jeeping and walking around, amazing image quality for such a little rig.

Reply to
Jerry McG

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
twaldron

LOL Great page, Jenn! Got any pix? ;-) Jeez, what the heck did you do, get a new digital camera? ;-)

Reply to
TJim

Tom told me to "take lots of pics"....so I did. =) So far two other sites are up with pics, and more to come I suspect.

Reply to
jbjeep

Saw the Oregon plates - what area is this? Outside of Hood?

I live in Portland.

Reply to
diggler

No, its private land down near Grants Pass.

Reply to
jbjeep

Approximately 11/21/03 17:01, twaldron uttered for posterity:

Yeah, I'm waiting for a good Minolta digital 35mm back to come down to my "toy budget" range so I can keep the investment in lenses I already have. Hopefully by that time it may be possible to get a USB hookup from the camera to a small PDA with a huge memory or mini-DVD so I don't need to lug around a laptop as a picture storage. Meanwhile, I just keep the old slide/film scanner fired up and use the old Maxxum and Nikon.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

sticks/cards. Of course if you already have a laptop, that's the cheaper way to go.<

You can get some USB/FW hard drives that are very compact and allow you to just dump the files during the day, then DL the hard drive to the laptop or to a server. For long treks a digitals SLR's main problem becomes battery usage, as you've no way to recharge and have to carry szeveral full charged spares, which is more weight for the pack.

Went to a gallery opening last night and the talk among the local photographers was "Is this is the year to go digital?, or, "I'm already digital, now everything's been upgraded, so I have to buy new bodies, lenses, computers, Photoshop CS, Epson 4000 printer.....boy, film sure was cheap!"

Reply to
Jerry McG