Do I need a swaybar?

I'm getting a new suspension (2.5 skyjacker) with 33x13.5 tires on 10in wheels (in the shop as we speak). Does the wider stance of the tires/wheels take away some of the effect of the sway bar by adding a bit more stability or is removing the swaybar going to create havoc on the highway with this set up? My bushings are shot, I'm broke, and I'm thinking of just removing it all together. Allen

83 CJ7
Reply to
<ABanks5

no swaybar here and i got a XJ

go for it you can always put it back on

Reply to
Erik Litchy

tires/wheels

Reply to
Jeep Guy

Removing it is big time against the law Allen.

It is considered a 'major' safety feature for driving on the road and if you get into any kind of fender bender or accident with no anti-sway bar, the cops will find you at fault in the accident if they are called in to investigate.

I got in a fender bender and both the cops and my insurance company inspected the Jeep and told me they were looking specifically for safety features all working and matching tires. They did mention the anti-sway bar specifically.

They figure without such a bar, maybe I couldn't have avoided the other party, but seeing as my Jeep was in A1 shape, the other party was found at fault, not me.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Intresting and good point I suppose. Well as soon as I get some cash together to buy some bushing...I'll throw it back on. Guess I'll have to skip lunch one day ;-) Thanks Mike! Allen

Reply to
<ABanks5

I got tired of putting my swaybar on and off so now it is just disconnected and stored in the garage somewhere. I have found the difference when driving on the freeway with vs. without it to be minimal. I have no plans to put it back on.

Reply to
Joshua Nelson

It isn't the freeway where you need a sway bar, it's the mountain roads.

Taking the sway bar off for highway use is something that should only be done with leaf sprung vehicles, and then it should only be done when the springs are not the stock springs.

Reply to
CRWLR

If you get in an accident with the anti-sway bar disconnected, you will be in big trouble!

Been there, mine was connected, but the cops and insurance company looked for it!

Mike

Joshua Nels>

Reply to
Mike Romain

During the accident investigation, you'll have fun explaining to the police and insurance company why you intentionally removed a safety feature from your vehicle for on-road operation.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

On 29 Oct 2003 22:49:20 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comspambgon (Matt Macchiarolo) shared the following:

I wonder what would happen if you told them you never had a sway bar on the vehicle. I mean seriously. My '76 CJ5 doesn't have one on it, but it didn't have one on it when I bought it. Not trying to start an argument. I'm just curious. If I said "Sway bar? I don't think this vehicle is supposed to have one. It doesn't have one right now, right?" I wonder what they'd be able to do.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

The insurance company probably knows the specs of the vehicles involved. They will know that Mr. Nelson's TJ and/or Scrambler would have come from the factory with front swaybars. If your Jeep didn't have one from the factory, you should be OK. At the risk of sounding ominous, if it did and a PO removed it, you are running a risk if you ever get in an accident. It's up to you.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
twaldron

Indeed. Before I upgraded the axles on my YJ it had a Superlift 3.5" susp with a JKS telescoping front trackbar (no rear) and JKS sway bar disconnects. I hauled it to Colorado for wheeling and had no intention of reconnecting everything every time I hit pavement. To my surprise it actually handled very well and was less prone to swing the rear end out. Once I got it home I removed the bars and they've never seen the light of day since. With the big axles and an RE 4.5" lift it's as stable as can be, except when the Detroit decides to do its occasional jig .... pick your poison.

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

(cough cough)

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

jackets ? You had jackets ? Luxury !

Reply to
Dave Milne

Bzzzzzt!!! Wrong answer! Put it back on.

1) you could roll it on a turn. 2) if you're in an accident and they find out you removed it, you're toast. 3) It's there for a reason. (wow, that was convincing, wasn't it...) Get a pair of disconnects or make your own
but keep the baron for on-road driving.
Reply to
TJim

Sway bars were optional equipment for many years before they became standard, then after they became standard, there was an optional upgrade to a stronger one, this eventually became the standard one used.

I think you (and anybody else) needs to check with some sort of safety department to see if the sway bare is required, or not. I don't have a sway bar on my CJ, and I really don't think I will suffer any repercussions as a result. Your mileage may vary.

I think you, Travis, have no worries because I think your CJ never had a sway bar. You can tell by looking at the spring perches on the bottom of the springs. There is a stud that sticks out (or up - I forget) about 2 or 3 inches that the sway bar links connect to. If you have these studs, then you ought to have a sway bar. Of course, the spring perches on a '78 could have been replaced long ago, but generally these are life-parts that do not get replaced unless there is other work done to the suspension at the same time, like a spring change for instance.

spam snipped-for-privacy@ev1.net

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to