Rover/Back Box/ Heat Shield.

I keep getting a vibration from the rear silencer box on my Rover 200.( This is in good condition.) I find that it is almost touching the heat shield between this and the petrol tank. When going over un even road surfaces I am getting the annoying rattle (vibration) Can I cure this ? or is it a job for the experts? Peter.

Reply to
Peter Coddington

Maybe it has been fitted incorrectly, or if it is a pattern one, the supports, (brackets, welded rods etc) may be bent wrong or slightly in the wrong place. In any case, it should be possible to increase the clearance, if it's actually hitting the heat shield. Either by resetting the pipe runs, bending the supports, or as a last resort, making them longer by welding. I've used all the above methods to cure similar problems on different cars in the past. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Thanks Mike, Seems like a garage job as it needs to be up on ramps. Thought of wedging a piece of old tyre between the back box and heat shield to stop it, then thought this may not be safe due to the heat. Peter.

Reply to
Peter Coddington