Help! Clutch problems

My clutch bit the dust. Well, my clutch slave cylinder actually bit the dust. I'm having a heck of a time finding the the slave for sale. Finally found a couple of them online (dealer wants $240 for some "kit"). The kits online (to include both master and slave cylinders with hose) is about $130 shipped to my door. It's about $50 for just the slave. Why on earth can online places get this but not the normal "parts stores" (i.e. Napa, Autozone, OReilly, Advanced Auto, etc)?

Should I replace just the slave? Would the master now be bad too? I had just gone over a curb into the grass (long story, don't ask) when the pedal felt strange (I assumed it was my gears somewhere) then the clutch went to the floor. I assumed I had blown the clutch or something. Looked under it and fluid was flowing from the slave. Had a friend help me pull it and found the shaft had actually shot into the clutch. He had to get a pair of pliers to get it out.

Later I climbed into a buddy's TJ, and realized that slave must've been going for some time. I couldn't even drive his. I couldn't control the clutch -- it had too much spring to it! Mine hasn't had that spring since... well, since I can remember.

Eric

99 TJ SE
Reply to
Eric

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Guess I'll give Pep Boys a shot tomorrow. Don't have Kragen here...

The places online that offer the slave itself are all the same part -- it's made by Omix-Ada. NO ONE has a good photo of one, though. Wish I could see it to make sure I was ordering the right part! This is my daily driver and I really don't want to be out too long (but don't want to get ripped off by the dealer either).

Really, I was just concerned about whether I should replace them both at the same time (thinking one worn part leading to another). I figured you'd be the first to reply. Was waiting for it. ;-) Thanks, Bill.

Reply to
Eric

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

My wife found that photo online -- shows what I can see outside the housing. I was trying to figure out what was inside, though.

I went ahead and ordered the slave cylinder. Regardless of any other details, I'm going to need it. Besides, if the master is bad as well, there are a few local shops with them in stock. No one seemed to have the slave, though...

In theory, this should make my clutch "springy" (for lack of a more educated way to put it), is that correct? For the last few weeks it has been rather soft and since I installed the locker it has been catching a few gears here and there (not really grinding, just not as smooth as normal).

Reply to
Eric

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

That helps! Questions now:

  1. The release fork has a return spring. So if you press on the fork where the slave normally would (as you can with a finger), should it... spring back?

  1. If it doesn't, what does that mean?

I can reach in there and push that in, and pull it back. No springy-ness (wow, great grammer) at all.

Reply to
Eric

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III