'88 Mazda 626 - clutch pedal stays down

Hello. I have a 1988 Mazda 626. A few days ago, the clutch pedal stopped coming all the way back up after I changed gears. For a day or so I could change gears okay but not it's to the point where I can't change gears and thus can't drive it.

A few questions I would appreciate any help on. Is this a hydraulic system? The (1983 - 1990) Haynes book didn't mention any clutch master cylinder and said it was all mechanical but the Chilton book did mention a clutch master and slave cylinder. And if it is hydraulic, what's the clutch slave cylinder do that the master cylinder doesn't?

And what's your best guess on what the problem is?

Thank you for any help you can provide! I wish you all a great day.

Tom

Reply to
Bill

My 86 B2000 had a clutch master and slave cylinder. Look by the brake master cylinder. If you see another slightly smaller master cylinder with a cap on the top to put fluid in, you found it. It should have only a single pipe/line coming out of it. When mine went, the slave cylinder on the bell housing was leaking. Not sure on a front drive where the slave cylinder is. If you can find the clutch master cylinder, follow the tubing to the slave. The master pumps the fluid, the slave moves the clutch.

Bob

Reply to
BOB URZ

could be low on fluid or a faulty slave cylinder (clutch plate control) or perhaps your cable snapped or possibly the clutch disk collapsed

Reply to
Backbone

Thanks Bob for replying and giving me excellent info. Take care,

Tom

Reply to
Bill

I'll check the level of the slave and master cylinder and fill it up if either is low.

Thanks for replying and the great info you provided. Take care,

Tom

Reply to
Bill