a girl with a 4runner and clutch problems. PLEASE HELP ME.

I have an 86 Toyota 4runner. Recently out driving it was fine. We went up some pretty big dirt mounds, I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but afterwards we couldn't get the truck to go into first gear. The clutch is going straight to the floorboards with no resistance. The truck shifts into gears fine when it's off. Just not on. We called a few people and they said to change the master cylinder.. so yesterday we bought a new one, but it in.. crossed our fingers and still NOTHING. I have no idea what it can be.. Can somebody help me?

Reply to
lbeast216

Something is wrong in the clutch release system. Certainly it could be the clutch master cylinder, but it could also be the clutch slave cylinder, the lines connecting the clutch master cylinder to the slave cylinder, the throwout bearing, the throwout bearing pivot arm, or the actual clutch. After you installed the new clutch master cylinder, did you bleed the system?

You need to get the truck to someone who can properly diagnose the problem. If you are determined to fix it yourself by shotgunning parts, the next logical thing to replace is the slave cylinder. It is relatively cheap and easy to replace. Be sure to properly bleed the system after you install it. If it isn't the clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder, or the connecting hoses, then the problem will require removal of the transmissions.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

If you replaced the clutch master, bled the system, and the slave is fine with no leaks, you have to visually check to see if the push rod, if any, is on the slave contacting against the throwout bearing fork. It should not be any kind of an adjustment issue, since hydraulic clutches are self adjusting. If all that is in place and you still have a problem, you probably have an internal clutch problem. Remember, you are working on a twenty one year old vehicle, it could be anything. How many miles?

Reply to
user

Yeah, I was worried about the miles. I'm actually not too sure because the odometer stopped working at 100,000 miles but I know there's a lot more.

Reply to
lbeast216

Hmm, I did bleed the system. I'm hoping then it's just the slave. That's the next option I was given.. I really hope it's nothing too hard to fix or where it needs to be taken in because time and money is def short...

Reply to
lbeast216

Set the parking brake, block the wheels so it can not roll, have someone work the clutch while you or someone knowledgeable looks under the vehicle for correct action. Be safe.

Reply to
user

Thank you for your help. It is GREATLY appreciated. Help from person to person for me is easier than trying to read all of this throughout manuals.

Reply to
lbeast216

You are very welcome.

Reply to