Help with XJ T-case lowering kit...

Okay I have the 4 spacers, I go to drop the T case buy removing the 4 bolts,, and two of the bolts are installed from the top down!

How do I get them out, do I have to pull carpet up or what, lol, ??

help..

Reply to
herman

so nobody has ever lowered a XJ transfer case before?

Reply to
herman

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I'm running a CV already but im just lowering it 3/4 inch to reduce the angle on the front cv.

Reply to
herman

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

The whole idea of using a CV joint is so you don't have to lower the t-case. It is an either/or type of thing.

I mean why go spend big bucks on a rear CV joint when a buck in washers will get rid of the vibrations?

The only reason folks do this is to keep the clearance up.

Mike

herman wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

the drive shaft actually became too short, hence the CV.

I get some vibration off the front, and since I have some pretty intense transfer case ski plates, I can lower the t case 3/4 inch and not worry because the skid plates are still there.

so nobody knows how to get the bolts out of the frame since they are holding the transfer case from the top down and I can't reach up top (into the frame) to pull the bolts out/ install the new ones..

Reply to
herman

Actually yes, I just read about a gent that did the same on another board.

Those are studs that unscrew so start soaking them in penetrating oil. The guy had a stud remover tool. Sort of an off set disk with a jaw. A plumbers pipe wrench comes to my mind. Others posted about using heat to loosen them too.

Mike

herman wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

No man, noone has ever touched the bolts that hold the T-case, the jeep was purchased new in 01. Regardless 2 bolts are dropped down from inside the frame and too aim upwards and screw into the frame.. I don't understand how this was done and how I can get my new longer bolts in from above (within the frame)

Reply to
herman

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Those are studs, not bolts and they unscrew from the bottom.

Mike

herman wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

There are nutserts in the frame rail thingy. They can strip so lube the stud well before trying to remove it. What everyone is saying is that the bolts sticking down are actually just threaded studs that screw into nuts that are up inside the frame rail. Worst case you can get new nutserts. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

A friend has one spun out and he is coming over 'some' day to have me weld a bolt onto the outside of the frame. He is lowering it so the bolt head welded to the frame won't be in the way.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

so its a bolt..... with a nut at both ends?

Worst case you can get new nutserts.

Reply to
herman

Kinda, its a stud with a nut fastened inside the frame so you can remove and reinstall the stud and the nut will stay inside the rail. I found a really cool site that shows exactly what you are dealing with.

or if the link gets truncated

KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

okay I understand that, but 2 of the four bolts have nuts at the other end as well, so it makes no sense to me, which is why I thought they were bolts installed from the top down.

Reply to
herman

I think the studs are there to help you line it up when re installing it. Without studs there, its a beotch to hold your heavy crossmember and transfer case in just the right spot till you line up a bolt and get it held up in place. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)