t-case linkage adjustment

I got a lot of help from this forum. I wish I could provide some useful information for other people.Get an old jeep, trying to figure out the problems and fix it is kind of fun for me.

It's a 92 cherokee laredo, 4L, auto, command Trac, with 320Kkm, no major problem so far.

When I switched to 4H(on snow), I can hear a slighly noise from t-case, it sounds normal to me. Then hit the gas, the t-case made a lot more vibration noise. Released the gas padel, noise came back to normal. Switched back to

2wd, I can feel the front axel released (hit the gas padel, I can feel it was driving on 2 wheels). But the slightly noise from the t-case is still there, same noise as 4wd without pressing gas padel.

I assume it needs a linkage adjustment. I pulled the shift handle all the way back to 4L, loosed the nut and retighted the nut. The problem stays the same.

I just changed t-case fluid using ATF+4.

Did I do the proper linkage adjustment? Or something wrong with the transfer case?

TIA

Herb

Reply to
Herb

When setting the linkage, you should use a 1/8" drill bit as a spacer shim from the end plate to do it exactly right but that doesn't sound like a problem to me. If it's not going all the way into gear, it makes 'bad' noises.

I would be suspecting a front driveshaft or axle u-joint going bad. The driveshaft has 3 u-joints on it, 2 up close to the t-case making a double cardan joint or CV style joint and one at the differetial.

Mike

Herb wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain