Here is a strange one

Fuel pump went out on my 87 . 2.5 throttle body injection. Been working

6 day weeks. So i droped it off at a local shop i trust. Well they called today and said i needed a Fuel sending unit ? Well after looking in Haynes. It looks like its what the pump hooks to. Doesnt the sending unit just work your gas gauge? Hell it has never worked very well to start with. Just alway's keep it full. Some advice would be helpfull. I feel stupid!

Later Mike

Reply to
Mike chambers

The fuel pump and the sending unit for the fuel gauge are an integrated assembly, that fits inside the fuel tank. It is probably called the "sending unit" in the parts catalog. So when they say they need a "sending unit", they mean "show us the money".

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

As Earle noted, it is one unit when you pull it out.

It sounds like you need a 'pump package' P/N 8350 2994 which is not > Fuel pump went out on my 87 . 2.5 throttle body injection. Been working

Reply to
RoyJ

Thanks you have been very helpfull. Wrote down the parts number and will call on Monday. Thanks again.

Later Mike

Reply to
Mike chambers

Reply to
RoyJ

Thanks for the help . Found out you cant get them from the stealer ship any more. They stoped makeing them. The company that is supposed to has not started. So I have no idea where to find even a used sending unit.I tried Collins in Californa. They rust out and thats the end. No place in Michigan has any . I'm thinking of just using a fuel cell. Might be a better bet.

Later Mike

Reply to
Mike chambers

I will check with my friend to see if his supplier has them. They have them for most vehicles, and usually pretty good prices.

Chris

Is the actual problem the sending unit, or the fuel pump? External FI rated fuel pumps are prone to problems, but in a case like this you might find it a workable choice. Any of the vendors that sells FI add-on systems can provide you with one. You are talking about a 1987 with the 2.5 and throttle body injection. Can you swap in a tank, sender unit and fuel pump from a newer model? I don't know the answer, but it is certainly worth investigating. The later model YJ tanks hold 20 gallons.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Thanks Chris. I've been spending about 2 hours a day calling every company in JP Mag. and on the net .

Later Mike

Reply to
Mike chambers

Hay Earl. The tanks have to be from 87-91. After that they went to fuel injection. If i could find a tank that would work thats what i do. A 20 gallon tank would be nice. Well not to fill up.

Later Mike

Reply to
Mike chambers

Sorry it's the sending unit . Rusted out .

Later Mike

Reply to
Mike chambers