Hi Lift Jack ?

Tonight I decided to practice a bit with my Hi Lift. I know these things are widow makers, but man. What the hell!! The jack is damn near brand new. It lifts fine, but when the switch is dropped to lower the load sometimes it holds and lowers it and sometimes it just falls. Scary! Do these jacks have this querk? It seems it likes to just fall under no or light loads. Is this typical? or is this jack defective?

Reply to
Paul Brogren

Nope its not defective that is how they work. I just pay attention and when the load is nearly down I just hold on to the handle.

Dean

Reply to
Dean

If you'll read the directions for your Hi-Lift, you'll note that they say that it needs a load to stay up when the lever is thrown to lower it. If there is an insufficient load on it, as there would be if you didn't have the Jeep resting on it, it's normal for for the head to crash down. That won't happen if you actually have a vehicle on it.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Thanks for the reply Dean. I usually keep and hammer onboard, I tried the hammer tap deal on the down switch. Seemed to work fine. Safer than using the hand. I can replace the hammer.

Reply to
Paul Brogren

I probably overlooked it. I'll pull the owner's sheet from my files and review again.

Reply to
Paul Brogren

Oh yeah, I forgot about that I keep a hammer around to hit that down switch with. I'm very fond of my fingers and I Really want to keep them on my hands

Dean

Reply to
Dean

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Thanks Bill, I need all the practice. No fun getting hurt when your hurtin' on stuck vehicle.

Reply to
Paul Brogren

I use my foot... I always have it with me, usually in it's convienient carrying case, my shoe. td

Reply to
Tyler Dirden

I also find that, if you push down on the handle like you were lifting the vehicle one more notch, then while the handle is in the down position, you flip the lever, the head remains in much better control and you can let the vehicle down from that point more smoothly.

Reply to
TJim

Your jack is not defective. That is exactly thebehavior that makes them Widow Makers. If you keep your hand on the handle while lowering the vehicle, the jack will seldom, if ever, fall like that. But, if your hand comes off the handle at the right moment in the cycle, the jack will easily allow the vehicle to lower itself, and the wildly moving handle will produce a wide range of hurts on anything that gets in the way. When the selector is set to the Raise position, the danger is limited, but set that selector to Lower and you better be ready to either hold on or stand back.

Reply to
CRWLR

You know, if you are holding the handle securely, the Down lever can be easily operated without risking your fingers. I actually jack the vehicle up a half-click then operate the Up/Down lever.

Reply to
CRWLR

Yes, that's what I was trying to describe.

Reply to
TJim

Mine does the same thing...pretty scary, isn't?

Reply to
Casey Teague