Jack question

Hello, this may be a silly question, but hey....

Having been thinking for the last week 'One of these days I really should get the jack out and find out how it works' I had a flat tyre this morning and had to change a wheel. The jack that came with the vehicle is a pillar jack, with a foot bit to go on the bottom and a ratchety spannery bit at the top. There's a bit that sticks out the side which I plug into a hole just under the bumper. This stick-out-the-side bit (the 'jacking peg') is hinged. On my jack, the hinge means that when you let go of it, the peg falls downwards (parallel to the pillar). In order to use it, I have to lift the peg to put it in the hole in the bumper. Logic sort of says that this is the wrong way round, the peg should hinge _upward_ for storage, and should stick out horizontally by itself in order to support the weight of the vehicle. Sorry if this is gibberish (it's been a long day), but should I take my jack apart and put the hinged peggy bit on the other way up??

thank you and good night.

Olly R

Reply to
Olly R

short answer no. when the horizontal is in the mounting hole the sides of the hole prevent it hingeing down . Don't ask me why but its been normal practice for a long time probably sound engineering reasons and shearing forces or similar. Derek

Reply to
Derek

Quite possibly it was done that way to stop people putting the peggy bit under the bumper, or some where else where there wasn't a proper hole for it, if it hinges down then it will only work when you stick it in the proper hole. (ooh err matron etc!)

Reply to
SimonJ

It's to accomodate the change in attitude of the vehicle as you lift it. As the chassis rises the angle between the chassis and the pillar of the jack deceases - hence it's hinged to accomodate that change.

Reply to
Dougal

Thanks chaps, it worked ok, but it's good to know that it's correct!

cheers

Olly

Reply to
Olly R