Highlift jack

buying one of these tommorrow, any good mounting tips? are there any mounting brackets one can buy??

johnp

Reply to
somebody

The best place is to hang it on a big assed nail in the back of the barn where it belongs.

In my opinion those 'widow makers' have no business anywhere near a Jeep. They are a farm tool made for pulling fence posts and raising barns for new footings.

If you need a jack, buy a jack. If you need a winch, they make nice hand cable winches. My hydraulic floor jack fits behind my passenger seat tight and the winch tucks in under the seat.

Mike

somebody wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Hehe I got this picture that a freind sent me with a subject header "Why women live longer" Maybe if Bill will let me send it to him. He'll post a link to it for all to see. Or anyone else for that matter

Mike Roma> The best place is to hang it on a big assed nail in the back of the barn

Reply to
FrankW

Hi Lift has a bracket you can buy for $20.

Mr. Bill at a 4 way stop.....the vehicle with the largest wheels has the right of way My Jeep is not an SUV....your SUV is not a Jeep

Reply to
AUTOKAWKR

Reply to
FrankW

You should mount it inside the jeep. If you mount it on the bumper and you are knee high in mud it will be fun getting it off. Do not forget that when you need to use it you will be stuck! To mount if for $3.00 buy 2 - 2 1/2 muffler clamps and put then on your rollbar. The high jack plate will fit into the bolts perfectly. Use butterfly nuts to tighten it. For the otherside and a muffler bracket - attach it to the clamp and it will exend to wards the top of the Jack. It has holes in it that match the ones in the high jack. Use a bolt with a butterfly to fasten it.

There are pictures of this set up on the web.

Reply to
Snowboardripper

Bought one at a yard sale, 48" like new for 20.00 or 25.00, can't remember. The guy bought it for his truck then sold the truck. It's been incredibly useful in lifting at the bumper when I changed out my axle shims (several times). However, used to lift, not support. Lift, add supports, remove jack, do work, then reverse.

Before I used the jack I had a hell of a time getting the center pins back in the perches. Using the jack all but eliminated that problem.

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Yes. There are several different brackets.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I agree with Mike in that there is probably not a more dangerous tool that can be owned and carried in a Jeep.

Having said that, it is a very useful tool in many different situations. A HiLift is NOT, that's N-O-T, to be used for simple lifting like is needed to fix a flat. A HiLift is very useful as an alternative to a winch, it is most useful to lift your Jeep so you can put large stuff under a tire so you can get going again.

If a HiLift is used to lift a Jeep so one can perform service, always, that's A-L-W-A-Y-S put something under the frame and lower the vehicle onto it so the vehicle will not be in danger of falling off of the jack. There are two safety issues relative to HiLift Jacks, one is that the vehicle can fall off or the jack will tip over and drop the vehicle, and the other is that when attempting to lower the vehicle, the jack can run away and the jack handle will flail about violently and seriously injure somebody. I have never seen a jack handle kill anybody, but this is obviously a possibility because the nick name for a HiLift is exactly as Mike suggests, widow maker. Your wife can become a widow because the inherently unstable jack will drop the vehicle on somebody, or the handle will beat the life out of you.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Mount it on the bumper. If bumper is not suitable, replace bumper with one having a 'roo (brush, bull) bar and mount it on that. Or add a bar that mounts to the frame.

I use a bike lock to secure it (in addition to wing nuts and bolts).

Charles.

somebody wrote:

Reply to
Charles Stoyer

As all have said: it is not a jack for changing tires or doing any other kind of work on your jeep, but this past weekend I had a chance to teach my son some tricks for getting un-stuck. He and a friend went out wheeling in the Wrangler and misjudged some ruts. He managed to high center the axles. After a mile and a half walk back to the house he wanted me to start the tractor. Instead I told him to go get the jack and we walked back out. I had him jack the front end up as high as it would go and then pushed it over so that the front wheels were out of the ruts. Repeated the same for the rear. Unstuck. Lesson 1: watch your center height. Lesson 2: you don't always need heavy equipment to get unstuck. Lesson 3: plan for the worst and carry what you need. At least I was having fun. jeff

Reply to
jeff

Hey, I have seen a site where the guy put the jack under the hood mounting it on the two cross bars just above the engine, but I can't seem to find the site now. Sorry. Tom

Reply to
cantrelm

and welding the gas tank !

Dave Milne

A gent from this group tried that and the jack broke the bar's anchor loose from the body. It is too heavy.

Mike

cantrelm wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

To mount a Hi-Lift there is to invite the firewall bracket those two support links bolt to to break as mine did.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Tell me about the hand cable winch

Reply to
Marvin Oliver

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Thanks Jeff, and all, i know better than to make my wife a widow,,shed get my jeep,,,,,and jefs discription is exactly why i bought the "highlift" as ive been ther and need to do that,,,grin,,,only i got to walk 5 miles outa the woods, and had long enough walk to realy want this jack,

John

90, with four mice, highlift, and more when "hony" allows,

Reply to
JohnE.P.--JEP