How durable is the 2.5L?

Looking at a 90YJ with a 4" lift and 33" tires. Has the 2.5L and the 5spd. Red, rag top. 180K. Just how long does the 2.5L last?

thanks

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Carl Saiyed did pass the time by typing:

It's a rugged little engine, but your probably going to find the 2.5l a bit on the weak side even with a standard tranny. The 4.0 is basically bulletproof.

Reply to
DougW

While your jeep may be a little underpowered with the 2.5L the good side is that you're less likely to break a lot of stuff.

Nat Man

Reply to
Nat Man

ive got a 90YJ with a 2.5 (91)low milage motor,kept my TBI.

30inch tires, i got stuck in a 3ft,ditch,in snow, drivers side almost on its side, i beat he crap outa the jeep trying to get out, back and fourth, trying to get over a hump in the ditch, ended up it was a plugged-culvert, bent my springs all to crap because i then had shackles,,yeck,,,, point im making is before i read that the tranny, transfer-case, and D35 was weak, and alot of people hate the 2.5, i was doing great, ive done some light 4weelin, nuthin extream, yet,,ive now got a winch, 2.5 spring lift, so i can get into more trouble, me i like it,good gas milage on the highway, and for me plenty of power, i like it better than my F150 4x4 V8 just watchin how i beat on the drivetrain more closly now, ive met a couple of other people with em and they like em, , just my un-experianced opinion, johnp
Reply to
Dirty Ditch Dawg

Hey Carl... I have an 86 Cherokee with the 2.5 in it and to be honest the only problems I have had with the motor is constent oil leaks... other than that its a little under powered but hell its also got 167,000 miles on it. I have had that poor Jeep in some bad places but the 2.5 has never let me down..... yet.

Reply to
Knight

Well Carl..... I think I spoke too soon...I believe I cooked the old 2.5L this morning.....

Reply to
Knight

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

that was still a good answer to his question (and mine a few weeks ago) instead of telling us we should have gotten the 4.0 I was surprised people haven't posted how many miles they've gotten out of the 2.5's. There have been more wranglers sold with the 2.5's instead of the 4.0's

Reply to
wallster

Sorry to hear that, Knight! I passed on the YJ with the 2.5 in favor of the

4.0 Cherokee I all ready have. Engine size was not one of the determining factors.

Thanks for the info everyone!

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Hey Bill.... Wish you had told me that before that statement!! heh heh Naa the funny thing is I'm not sure I totally cooked it. I had a major knock in the lower engine kick in when I was driving around 50-55mph and it totally lost all power. I got it home which was maybe a 5 mile drive, Parked it because I was pissed and walked away...came back out started it up heard one loud thump in the lower engine then bam it snapped out of it and sounds fine...checked the oil before I started it that time and added about 2 quarts. I dunno I havent driven it since then... kind of odd for the knock to go away though dont you think?

Reply to
Knight

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
Will Honea

Reply to
gregw45

No way... is it bone stock? Do you wheel it? What kind of maintenance schedule do you keep? I'm betting with all my wheeling and running 33's everyday, I won't get 200k. Although I'd sure love to!

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Alright...The frickin thing is still running...not sure how but it is and I've been giving it the usual treatment.... Anyone know if a 4.0L will bolt in where the 2.5L is? Or is that a major task? never really thought about it but hey I'm willing to give it a shot, If this thing dies anytime soon... which I beginning to think it may not.

Reply to
Knight

Other than adding 31x10.5 BFGs it's bone stock. The speedo hasn't been re-geared after mounting the larger tires so the speedo/odometer reads about 10% low.

I d> No way... is it bone stock? Do you wheel it? What kind of

maintenance

Reply to
gregw45

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

A 350chev might fit

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

They sell LS1 turn-key motors for about $7k...

They have cheaper ones closer to $5k. Why do I know this? I'd been debating whether to keep building the 2.5 or not...

Eric

99 TJ SE
Reply to
Eric