CJ5 Shackle Dimensions

Hi!

Rebuilding the suspension on an abused 74 CJ5. Shackles were far too long and bent. Anyone know what the dimensions are of the original equipment front and rear leaf spring shackles? (thickness steel used and distance between the bolt hole on hanger shaft on the body and the bolt hole of the spring bushing)

Thanks!

Reply to
Don

I believe all the CJ ones were the same at 2" center to center on the holes. They were stamped metal somewhere about an 1/8" thick, but I don't know the gauge.

I have seen replacements that were really thick plate so too thick shouldn't hurt anything I wouldn't think. They are straight bars anyway.

Mike

Mike Romain

Three inches hole to hole - front and rear. The originals were 3/16" thick stamped steel. If you are gonna make your own, you'd want to make them out of thicker stock. The inside (side to side) length would need to be the same as original. Every inch longer than stock gives you about 1/2" of lift. But more than an inch or so of shackle lift on the front end is going to have an undesirable effect on your steering geometry. Hope this helps. TrailMarker.

Reply to
carrollcaboodle

I just double checked mine. CJ ones are 3" and the YJ ones are 4".

Mike

Mike Roma>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike and Trailblazer, Thanks for the info, cutting the shackles this eve. Don

Reply to
Don

The critical dimension it the spring width. Once you know that, look up Con-Fer shackes and get the shortest ones they have if you want stock length. ConFer makes a heavy duty shackle that is much stronger than the stock ones. It is also a little longer, but not enough to be a factor.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland