Pigeon toed Jeep?

Just bought a used 2000 Sport. I love it! But there were a couple of things that I noticed:

1.) My jeep looks pigeon-toed. I just noticed it today when walking towards it from a distance. All wheels are showing uneven wear on the outside part of the tires. It drives okay and does not "steer" itself when I let go of the steering wheel, so I doubt it's the alignment. Any ideas on what needs to be looked at?

2.) When the car is idle, I hear a rattling sound, until I press the clutch. When the clutch is down, everything is pretty quiet. Do I need to be worried about this sound?

Thanks!

Reply to
Bobo

Ouch!!! You might not be real happy before you are done with this one!

Pigeon toed with outside wear says the alignment is very bad. If the rear wheels show the same, either the rear axle is bent (not too likely) or the PO rotated the tires and did not do anything with the alignment. Hi thee to an alignment shop. Hopefully it's just the toe adjustment. Be prepared to need some new tires on all 4 corners. And yes, it can steer fine but still be badly out of alignment.

Rattling in neutral with the clutch out is usually the input shaft bearing or something similar. $400 to $600 labor to get the tranny in and out, plus parts and labor to replace the bearing. Figure that the repair bill will have 4 large digits in it.

Any chance you can give it back and get your m> Just bought a used 2000 Sport. I love it! But there were a couple of things

Reply to
RoyJ

I have absolutely no mechanical knowledge.....working on the aptitude part though!

Uneven wear can occur from in flation issues (under/over). There's a trick with marking a tire with chalk directly across the tread then driving a few feet and seeing what wore. I don't remember what part of the tread wears with under/over inflating. just a guess would say the middle of the tread for over in flation and the out edges for under inflation!

And the clutch noise....is the noise just coming from under you? or is it vibrating up through the clutch stick? could be a lose linkage that pulls tight when pushed in!

Reply to
SB

That could be the standard rattle in neutral noise on the NVG 3550 transmission.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

If the tires are wearing on the outside (or inside) edges to the exclusion of the other set of edges, then you most certainly do have alignment issues. If the tires wear on both the inside AND outside edges, then you have air pressure concerns.

Probably not, but maybe.

The clutch has a series of springs that form, for lack of a better word, a diaphram of sorts. It is possible that one of these springs is bent a little, and strikes the Throw Out Bearing. When you depress the clutch pedal, you press the springs against the bearing to silence the noise.

Of course, the throwout bearing also can rattle in the clutch fork, and it will also become silent when any pressure is placed on the clutch pedal.

Either way, I wouldn't worry about it until it is time to replace the clutch.

Reply to
CRWLR

Mine has always had a slight rattle from the throw out bearing when the clutch is out. This I would not worry about too much but be aware that some day the bearing will packup and seize.... then you will get a terrible sound when ever you engage the bearing.

Reply to
Jeepster

Reply to
David C. Moller

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I just remembered the seller telling me that he had bigger wheels/tires on them, then had to remove them to put on his truck. He may have put the original tires and not aligned after that.

Thanks again!

Reply to
Bobo

Reply to
twaldron

Sounds like a throw-out bearing to me... they can chatter when not under tension

Dennis Gann

Reply to
DGann

Reply to