Pavement Ends Soft top - buyer beware

Hey, all, this is my first post. So far I have found the articles here very informative.

I just bought a Pavement Ends replacement top for my '99 Jeep Wrangler Sport. I figured I'd save a few bucks instead of getting the one from Besttop.

The installation went fairly simple and I am glad to be able to see out of my windows again, but I have noticed a few problems.

The top fits rather loosely which causes a lot of buffeting even at low speeds which makes for a rather noisy ride. Also, the rail at the bottom of the rear window will not stay in place, also due to the looseness of the top. The tabs at the rear are so loose that they just kindof hang there because the top is not tight enough to hold them in place.

I wish I had known about these problems before but hind sight is always 20/20. The old adage "You get what you pay for" is true in this case. I am certain that when this top wears out (which will probably be just after the 1 year warranty expires), I will go with the Besttop next time.

Has anyone else had these results?

Reply to
Doug

That sounds like something from our infamous 'steelhorse' maker. I bought their bikini before I knew better and all the hold down clips broke first use.

If it doesn't fit, then 'I' would send the sucker back right away for that reason. If that sucker lets go on you at 70 mph or something, the results could be really nasty.

I then would invest in a good one.

Mike

Doug wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
twaldron

I thought Pavement Ends was a Bestop, just their lower cost top. Outland is the old Steel Horse and is now owned by Smittybuilt - I believe. You flat out should not have such a poor fit no matter.

Andy

2001 TJ Highly Built Window Roll Equipped (Window Storage)
Reply to
Andy

Doug, Pavement Ends is Bestop's lower-cost product line meant to compete with the low-cost imports. It does compete well with them but it can't compete with their regular stuff. The main difference is the fabric quality. :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

You know the metal trim that holds the softop in place? Put on your softtop and then with a BFH and a block of soft wood, tamp it all down around the edge to bend the trim inwards. Nick

Reply to
Nick N

I agree with Mike.

Send it back if at all possible. If the business you purchased it thru wont help you out, try going straight to the manufacturer. Your top shouldn't be loose enough that you are worried about loosing it (or part of it)...and if you do, and someone gets hit with it, the potential liability boggles the mind.

Spring for a Bestop or at least a

- I really like mine.

Reply to
jbjeep

You didn't find them informative enough. We TOLD you to get the BesTop top. The sweetness of low cost is gone long before the bitterness of low quality.

?
Reply to
CRWLR

True, and in this case it's a bit more than just a squirt or two of Rustoleum.

Reply to
twaldron