How Fast Using 4H?

Since winter has now hit, what is considered 'too fast' for 4H?

Reply to
Daniel Paisley

You should check out the Cherokee transfer case forks post. It goes over the speeds in a lot of detail.

Basically you can shift on the fly into and out of 4 high at any legal speed according to my owners manuals.

I figure whatever speeds the transport trucks are driving in the snow is the max for a 'safe' speed 'if and only if you have winter tires' so I pace them.

When I had fat 10.5's on my CJ7 any speed over 45 mph or so in snow was suicide due to lack of steering control, so you have to really watch the tires you have.

Figure a 4x4 can't stop you any faster than a 2 also. (good reasons in the other thread)

Mike

Daniel Paisley wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain
4HI can be used at any safe speed. Of course, a critical part of safe speed is safe stopping. 4WD will not assist in any way with safe stopping.

You did not tell us which model you have, but if your 4WD is intended for Part Time Use Only, then you should only use 4HI when the tires can slip on the road surface to relieve stress that can damage the tcase. Rain is not a good reason to use 4HI.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Personally, I don't use 4H unless required (pulling out up hill in deep snow, slowly going up steep hill in deep snow, etc.). If you are traveling fast enough that you question weather or not to shift, then you probably don't need 4H. my $0.02

Reply to
JimG

I can go for weeks without taking it 'out' of 4x4....

Mike

JimG wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Why is that Mike? Is it because when the snow moves into Canada it stays that bad?

JimG

Reply to
JimG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Yes.

In western Canada it is too cold for salt to work so once the roads have a snow pack you don't see pavement until spring. Makes for really nasty ruts and ice 'pot' holes.

Here in southern and in eastern Canada we get ice storms. Day after day of freezing rain and slush. Almost 2 weeks straight a couple of springs ago. The gent I work for had me follow his service truck in my Jeep so we could for sure get there and get out. My Jeep got paid those days. LOL!

That is why we don't flinch about driving close to 100 kph or 65 mph in snow, it is the norm in lots of places. The places that get the 100% snow pack have surprisingly low accident numbers too. You know to leave room, everyone does. It's places that hover around freezing that are the most dangerous. The idiots think 'all season' means they have winter traction.

Mike

JimG wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Daniel Paisley did pass the time by typing:

Easy.

That's the point where it goes from "wheee!" to "oh shit!".

Reply to
DougW

Best answer yet!

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

Love it!

Too true.

Mike

Carl Saiyed wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Along with, 'Co-pilot to Pilot: "You're an asshole and I screwed yer wife!"

hah

Reply to
SteveBrady

And don't forget the infamous:

"Hey, what does this thing do?"

John

SteveBrady (remove this) wrote:

Reply to
john_r357

Daniel Paisley proclaimed:

When you blow past the Smokey Bears, is probably a good idea to back off just a bit.

Other than that, some folks can drive on icy crap and some folks can't manage dry pavement.

Reply to
Lon

Except for the west coast of Canada :)

Reply to
Greg

Look up.... ;-)

Though I will say it was neat to go skiing in the day followed by a beach BBQ.

Mike

Greg wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Just had a fender bender concerning this. I was heading westbound on a

4 lane, 2 way highway. When I pulled out of the intersection onto the highway, I engaged in 4H, and saw the "part time" indicator light on the dash go on. About 50-65 feet later, I heard a loud grinding/squealing noise, the wheels locked up on me, and given the snowy conditions I slid right into a guardrail. I was only doing 25-30, but it was enough front end damage to make my insurance company think twice. Maybe totalled. I was rolling at about 5-10 mph and turning right at the time I engaged 4H. Thought everything was fine, just before I hit the guardrail I heard a "pop", and the transfer handle popped back into 2 wheel drive. Bummer.
Reply to
deadliberty

Wow, what were you driving?

That sounds like a front u-joint blowing out or something to lock everything up....

Mike

deadliberty wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain