Ranger Edge/03

Been looking at an 03 Ranger Edge...3 litre/6cylinder 2wd...looks VERY clean..and not a huge chunk of change...36K miles...... Wondering what people's experience with this vehicle has been...? Thanks.... G

Reply to
J.Gregory McIntosh

I have 39,000 miles on an 03 Ranger. Just bought new tires, it had an odd hiccup shifting a couple of times, I didn't take it in as it hasn't done it in couple years. No other problems. 20 mpg highway, I haven't checked it in the city. I am very happy with it, would be better if it got 22 mpg but O well.

Reply to
Scott

I bought an 03 last Sept, had about 36K on it. No problems yet. It has the

3.0 and 5 spd. auto., 2WD. It's not an edge or sport but equipped like them. My only dislike is the ride is not just stiff, but hard. I Plan on replacing tires with passenger tires of the same size, hopefully that will soften it a tad. I wouldn't plan on towing much with the 3.0, but it does have enough power to get me on the freeway as fast as I need to do it. I'm averaging 17 and a few tenths MPG, combination freeway and city. If you like it go for it, they are good trucks.
Reply to
Paul O.

Reply to
J.Gregory McIntosh

Thanks Paul..... I forgot to mention that this was a 5 speed manual transmission... I don't think Id use it to tow much at all if any...maybe the odd load of sand or gravel... I had this thing on the highway yesterday and I noticed it was a bit "stiff".....but I've been driving a YJ for the last 11 years so anything would feel better... Any snow where you are??How does it handle in Winter conditions...Im thinking Ill have to add some load to help stabilize during winter months up here...Im pretty used to having 4wd at my disposal.. I've been looking at lots of sources on-line...and wonder about the mechanical durability and weaknesses though.... Thanks ...I do appreciate your input! G

Reply to
J.Gregory McIntosh

I have an 2002 Edge with the 3.0, 5 speed manual and 3.73 axle. Bought it brand new and now has a little over 78,000 miles on it. I have done the usual maintenance like oil and filter changes. At 65,000 miles I replaced the serpentine belt. At 68,000 I had the front brake pads replaced. I am on my 3rd set of tires, which includes the original set but that is because I don't let them get too far down on the tread. Other than that, it still runs like it did new with no rattles and creaks. For fuel mileage increase on the highway, may I suggest a tonneau cover whether hard or soft. Also a K & N air filter and a free flowing muffler. My mileage went from 19 to 20 mpg on the highway to 23 to 24 highway mpg at 70 mph with those additions. By the way, my tonneau is an Extang soft tonneau which costs around $100.00 and you can install it yourself. At today's gas prices, a $100.00 tonneau would pay for itself in rather short order. I've never towed anything with mine but when I inquired about pulling a pop-up camper, everyone said I would be able to. If the previous owner has taken care of the '03 you're looking at, I'd say buy it. Dan Edwards

Reply to
Dan Edwards

I bought a 2WD regular cab Edge pickup in 2001; currently have 147k on it. Been changing the oil regularly and whatever else and its been a pretty good truck. I get 20mpg on a mostly highway daily loop and occasionally a bit better on trips. Serpentine belt seems to age prematurely and squeals and yes its a rough rider (albeit on original shocks) Not a a bad ride overall; I'll probably buy another one sooner or later and maybe go for the extra cab and FWD

Reply to
mary.bury