How many miles are on your TJ?

99 TJ Sport with 60,500 miles/ 31 x 10.50 Kelly Muds on 8" American Racing (?) wheels/locking EVERYTHING that unscrews (gas, hood, spare)/ BRAND NEW (yesterday) custom exhaust man./ Panasonic Ghost invisible face head unit w/RCA Lyra MP3 player/Optima Red Top/KC daylighters (150 watt, I think)

Not much has gone wrong...one dead battery, one SHOT rear differential from ignoring towing limits when it was new (covered under warranty), new manifold yesterday, 3 flat Goodyears before upgrading, Chrysler CD player got skippy and was replaced. Radiator is currently starting to weep and will upgrade to a 3-core or whatever before summer comes in full force. The mirror coating rubber crap is rotting off-time for a sandblast of the mounts and the installation of some relo brackets soon. Oh, it also goes through brakes like there's NO TOMORROW- like a new set every 14 months. Thank goodness for Midas lifetime brakes.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

'02 TJ Apex. 11,500K. Nothing major so far, just drenched carpets after it rains.

Reply to
Eugene D'Jeep

I assume that was a D35 ? You "can" tow 4300lb with a D44, but I wouldn't recommend it..

Reply to
Dave Milne

No, it was a 44 and I was a shade over 4000 lbs. for around 650 miles in the hottest summer I can remember around here. I think it popped some teeth-it sounded a lot like stones stuck in mud tires (machine-gun like rattle). My dad had had a Comanche with the same engine (and I think a 44 rear) that was rated WAY beyond the TJ for towing, and before I understood about wheelbases I ignored the limit.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

It looks worse on paper. Considering I've had it for 5 years already, it's been really trouble-free. All of these things happened in the first few years, and it's been solid ever since.

I lemon-lawed my '97 due to the infamous water leak. I took it in 7 times, and they still couldn't fix it.

I scheduled a 7th time, and sent a registered letter to the Chrysler Area Rep (as required). In Illinios, its 12 mos. or 12,000 miles (something like that) during which you can file a lemon law claim.

I was at about 11,500, and I told them that if try #7 didn't work and failed outside the period, I was reserving my right to claim over the previous 6 tries. (I could have filed after 3x).

So the area rep followed thru with the dealer on repair #7, and it leaked 2 weeks later.

No hassle... no arbitration. They offered to "buy it back" - giving me full sticker price (I paid $100 over invoice), minus .11/mile (lease mileage rate). I'm guessin "buy back" doesn't affect the title, so they can sell it again.

So I got to order a 99 with all the options I wanted the on the 97 but couldn't get (they messed up my order at the end of the model year)... got a better loan rate, and was only out-of-pocket about $800 on the whole deal.

I have a 97 spice soft top(purchased separately) on the 99 (tan), but who cares! I kept the add-a-trunk too.

Reply to
Dan Vitous

'99 TJ Sahara, 5 speed, D30/35 with 31" tires

111,300 miles Only major mechanical problem - replaced exhaust manifold 2 years ago after hauling a small trailer from Chicago to Dallas.

I *LOVE* my Jeep!

Tirya

Reply to
Tirya

How good is the add-a-trunk? I have an old metal "junk-box" with a latchable lock. (something work was throwing out). It's great to throw my cables and tools in, but really isn't formed for fitting in the jeep.

Reply to
SB