How to check oil in Manual Trans.?

I have a 94 Wrangler, 4-cyl., and I need to check the oil level in the manual transmission, and add oil if necessary.

Am I going to have to remove the skid plate in order to access the filler hole?? And, if so, does the transmission have to be supported somehow while I am lowering the skidplate? Are there any potential problems or complications that I should be aware of?

TIA, john w.

Reply to
jwallace

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

No, the skid plate does not have to come off. Yes, if the skid plate is removed, you must support the trans and tcase.

There is a fill hole about 2/3 up the side of the trans, it will be a plug that can be removed with a large allen wrench in many cases. Remove the plug and put your finger in. If the oil is right at the bottom of the fill hole, it is fine, if your finger comes out dry, then you need oil. Put oil into the fill hole until it begins to come out, then put the plug back in. If my memory serves me, you need to top it off with automatic transmission fluid.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

No, do NOT add automatic transmission fluid. You'll trash your transmission in no time. Make sure to buy the manual transmission fluid from the dealership. It's expensive (around $15 a quart), but I've been told that not using it can be hazardous to the brass bushings in the ax-5. Some may back me up, some may refute it -- but I haven't had any problems using the dealership fluid.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

He has the AX-5, Bill (4 cyl...). I have a bottle in my garage -- I'll post a pic tomorrow and send you a link. ;-)

Reply to
Eric

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I should clarify, I am not sure what trans fluid is supposed to be used, but I seem to recall the spec is for automatic trans fluid.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Well, that is certainly NOT auto trans fluid.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III