How to seat the Fuel Pump and Filter (Mopar MPI)

Hi all,

Installing the MPI kit on my 83 CJ7.

Well, after bunches of cusses and getting black with grease, I installed the Fuel Pump and Filter but haven't mounted them yet. That is, the lines are all connected together but I haven't tied them down yet.

Question: Should these sit right on the cross member or should they be mounted on something like a rubber mat or something? Doesn't seem right that they should sit right on the cross member.

Also, I had another guy tell me that these fuel pumps go out quite often. He said they get hot and stop working and so he always carrys a spare. I'm in SoCal. Has anyone else had this problem? Do these things go out often?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Bill,

Mine is mounted directly to the crossmember above the axle, just like the instructions say... So far no problem.

I live in San Diego, Last weekend I drove to and from Big Bear via I-15, I-215. On the way home on Monday, my thermometer on my wrist read a cool 100 degrees. At my feet it must have been at least 30degrees hotter, and at the fuel pump at least that hot... No trouble at all. I do recommend you route the fuel line down the passenger side around the radiator and up to prevent vapor lock. Some guys say its not needed but I took no chances. My whole front clip was off at the time so it was a piece of cake. Use hard line as far as possible too. (now tomorrow I'll go out there, and the damn thing won't start).

Rich

Reply to
Richard Harris

Rich,

I left the "hard lines" as they were. On my jeep the supply comes down the passenger side and the return goes back the drivers side. Also, the instructions say there should be three lines coming out of a rubber block on the cross member. Mine was nothing like that. On mine the supply line was going across the entire cross member. I cut it at each end, flared each end and connected it all with fuel injection rated fuel line.

Now, the guy I bought this kit from ran his supply line (the kit piece) over the valve cover instead of running fuel injection rated line around the radiator like the instructions say. He said it worked fine and although it looks "unclean" I'm going to try it like this first to see how it works and if I don't like it I'll change it.

What are the effects of vapor lock and how do you recover from it?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Reply to
Richard Harris

Mounting directly to the crossmember will probably transmit vibration/noise. A piece of rubber mat wouldn't hurt. I used an old, worn out mouse pad cut to size.

Mine is mounted on the inside of the right frame rail just behind the factory tranny/transfer case skid plate. The reason I mounted it there is to keep it below the tank rather than above it.

Very good advice. I wouldn't say that they fail "quite often," but they do fail on occasion. You should always carry a spare filter and fuel pump.

Robert Bills KG6LMV Orange County CA

Robert Bills

Actually, it takes one tool, less than five minutes for both, and is not a problem at all. Another reason why I located them on the inside of the right frame rail and not to the crossmember over the rear diff.

I think an electric pump mounted above the fuel tank is a bad idea. These pumps are not self priming.