I6 engine vibration

Hi,

I recently replaced the failed harmonic balancer (vibration damper) on my '90 XJ 4.0L I6 5-speed. The vibration I was suffering lessened, but it is still very noticeable at around 2000 RPM (any gear, any speed). Anyone ever have any similar problems after replacing the HB on an I6?

I removed the serpentine and ran the engine to confirm that no other component on the belt line was the culprit. Sure enough: no belt, same vibe.

The new balancer looks good. It rotates with no discernible shimmy or wobble. One thing I did notice: the original balancer had a single balancing hole bored in it. The aftermarket replacement had two holes bored in it. Does this mean I got the wrong part?

My next step is to get a balancer from the dealer$hip and try that. Is there anything else I can try first before throwing more dollars into it? If it turns out that another balancer doesn't help, what next?

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Steve did pass the time by typing:

Have some of the same issues, mine looked like this for the 93 4.0 not that things didn't change.

Vibration at a specific RPM reguardless of driving speed (or in N) could be the flywheel/clutch/or something internal.

Or maby even a busted motor mount?

Reply to
DougW

Thanks Doug.

Did your vibes completely clear after you replaced the HB?

Mounts look okay. Guess I'll try another HB as a last ditch before going in for the clutch.

Steve

DougW wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Steve did pass the time by typing:

Not entirely but the persistant belt squeek in humid weather did. The HB wasn't quite gone, just slightly wobbly and walked back a bit.

As it stands I'm slowly getting things cleared up. Right now it's a pissing match with a vac leak following replacing the old cracked exhaust manifold. Plus a few other noises under the hood and some vibrations on acceleration that could be U joints (even though they feel tight).

I'm not certain how a HB would be that off, but it's "fairly easy" to do if you have the right tools. :)

Reply to
DougW