Vibration after disc change

I recently had the front discs and pads replaced on my RAV-4. Since then I've been experiencing a strange vibration problem. It occurs at very low speed i.e 10mph (where it appears as a wobble) all the way up to 85+. At first I thought it was a wheel balancing problem, but it doesn't feel the same to me i.e. there doen't appear to be a non-vibration speed, plus the low speed wobble. Also there is not a lot of vibration through the steering wheel, more through the seat and braking doesn't worsen the vibration.

I've checked the tyre pressures which made a very small improvement as the front offside was down to 24 instead of 28 psi), and the tyres appear to be in decent condition.

Anyone have a clue what's going on?

Any help gratefully received.

Reply to
Tony Wright

As long as they've fitted the discs properly and made sure the mating surfaces were clean, my bet is on worn suspension bushes - track control arms springs to mind. Sometimes they can go unnoticed for ages and only show up once the suspension is moved to a position it's not usually in such as on a ramp where it'll be allowed to go to it's maximum travel.

Reply to
Conor

My first reaction to vibration/wobble after a disc change is that the disc and hub haven't mated properly, however that wouldn't really explain the problem you're experiencing, but if it was me my first reaction would be to whip the discs off, religiously clean up the mating surfaces and ensure no grit etc., and reassemble. I usually clean any corrosion off the hub face with sandpaper and/or a file.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

Thanks chaps. On a re-examination of all tyres, I discovered a carbunkle on the front nearside tyre. Quick swap of said wheel with a new one sorted it all out. My weekly check shall now be more thorough.

Reply to
Tony Wright

"Tony Wright" wrote in news:4592bccb$0$32023 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk:

Did you try putting some cream on it, first? ;-)

Stu

Reply to
Stu