Rod Knock Question

I have what I think is a rod knocking. My question is this, should I change out all of them or is this something that I can get away with only replacing/repairing the bad one? Its on a 75 CJ5 with the 232 I6, and I am almost positive that the guts are all original.

TIA Brandon

Reply to
Brandon Audet

I would say replace them all.. if one is knocking the rest can't be far away....

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

If you are anywhere near Connecticut I've got a mid 70s 232 sitting in my garage, complete from pulley to flywheel and carb to pan plug. It'll need going through (at the least to refresh the gaskets) but it is free to anyone who wants it.

Brand> I have what I think is a rod knocking. My question is this, should I change

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

I personally have known people to replace one rod, one bearing insert, and one piston. This is a good repair for getting the vehicle to a trade in facility.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Heh, if there is another war like that one, remember to block the rod journal oil passages when you do that. One way is to hack saw the big end off the rod, and bolt it back onto the journal with beer can shims. That also takes care of balancing issues, sort of.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

Now that would be nice, but I'm in So. Cal.

Reply to
Brandon Audet