Installing Detroit Locker and Tru-trac....

I have an '82 CJ-7 with a dana 30/AMC 20....I have these 2 lockers that have been sitting in my garage because I don't have the $$$ to get them "professionally" installed at this time....has anyone installed these in you driveway/backyard with basic tools? Or, do you need special equipment to properly have these put in? Since I busted a U-joint in the rear, it has been parked, and now is my chance.....by the way, I have one more question....I recently had an NV4500 installed with a dana 300....the whole setup moved everything back 4-5 inches which caused some stress to the rear u-joint due to the angle going into the transfer case....can anyone recommend a u-joint setup that has a little more flex in it to keep it form breaking again?

I'd appreciate any help....

Thanks, Mark O.

Reply to
M O

Without experience (but I am mechanically minded) I installed a lockrite in the dana 30 in about 8 hours. It took a little patience trying to figure out how it worked, but now that I have seen it once it would be MUCH faster the second time. You can easily take the cover off, clean it out, and have a look at what you are about to get yourself into. If you feel like you are over your head putting the cover back on and adding oil is easy, and if you still feel confident have at it. I found that I needed to remove both axles, never done that before, but now I know how. And I also had to remove the carrier because my gears were to "wide" to get the needed parts out.

Reply to
Fletcher

Having seen a lockrite installed on a d35 (bad idea) and NOT being very mechanically inclined, I could do it in a few hours. td

Reply to
Tyler Dirden

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

OK, thanks, Bill. So it's not so much the alignment, as the depth that needs to be set. Maybe I'll get real brave and put tru-tracs in my Waggy next summer. Wish me luck. TJim

Reply to
TJim