detroit tru trac

anyone running Detroit Tru Trac?? they sound pretty good but read somewhere they aren't very strong and are little better than an open diff when the going gets really rough,

Reply to
Glenn

I have one in my TJ and it works fine in the deep snow and light trail stuff (I don't wheel it in the rough stuff, I have the CJ for that). I think they are much better than the OEM Track Lock. They are all gears rather than clutches and therefore don't require special lube and shouldn't wear out.

Reply to
JimG

I used to run front and rear Truetracs in my '97 TJ. First, they are 'very' strong, no worries about that. Next, they are 'very' good (outstanding!) for slick road use... ice, snow, etc.. And as was already said, they don't need any special additives (friction modifiers) to work like the Jeep Tracloc requires.

Where they are next to useless is on a difficult offroad trail where you don't always have all four tires on the ground. In those situations, they are little better than an open differential. Even using the usual "tricks" like applying the brake to help them work better doesn't work well in those situations, I have years of trying to help them work better in those situations. That's why I eventually swapped both of my Truetracs out for front and rear lockers.

So for onroad use, the Truetrac is outstanding. For offroad use where all four tires wil not always be on the ground, a Truetrac is not much help at all. :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

What about the Richmond PowerTrax Lock-Right and No-slip units in a Dana

35c?. Anyone using them? Benefits? Drawbacks?

Reply to
billy ray

You really don't want to run any locker inside a Dana 35c. Its axleshafts aren't strong enough to handle the doubled (literally doubled) amount of stress they would see on the trail. A broken Dana

35c is the most common result of installing any kind of locker.

Jerry

billy ray wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford