Detroit rear, or Lockright F&B?

If you had a choice, would you go with the detroit locker in rear only, or go with lockright front and back. Given that 2 lockrights are about $150.00 Canadian less then the detroit. I'm changing gears, so now is the time to do something, so the install cost of the detroit wont come into it. Decisions, decisions. This is in an 81 CJ7, dana 30 front, AMC 20 rear with one peice axles.

Reply to
Greg

Here is my setup: Dana 30 front with "Dana 44 sized" Warn chromoly axles,

6-bolt hubs, 4.56 gears and Lockright. Rear is an AMC 20 with Summers Bros. 1-piece axles, welded tubes, and Detroit.

I have tried "lunchbox" lockers in the rear, and have broken them. The Detroit is nearly bulletproof. In my opinion (and in my experience), it makes more sense to get the best the first time even though it costs more. Buying a cheaper rear locker to save a few bucks now may (and probably will) cost more in the long run. If you can't afford a Detroit and a front locker now, get the Detroit and do the front later.

Robert Bills KG6LMV Orange County CA

Robert Bills

I have the Detroit out back, and the EZ Locker (same as LockRight) up front. I like my set up. I also have the same axle arrangement as you. My gear set is the 4.10 with 32x11.50s, and the 258 motor.

Reply to
CRWLR