Insurance links needed, CA

Girlfriend's BMW was wrecked last week. She's ok, but car is pretty bad. I had just got the car the way i wanted it, it's worth more than bluebook, but it's time for negotiations to begin. The other driver admitted fault, and their insurance acepts full liability. They want to total the car. Anyone have any how-to links for dealing with the insurance companies in California? I did this 2 years ago in Washington, but they have better laws.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Paul Calman did pass the time by typing:

Tell the insurance company exactly what you want. Lay down the costs of any add-ons to the vehicle and hopefully you have receipts or quotes to back it up. Also determine just what "ok" is. Lots of injuries take time to show up.

If the insurance company gives you grief tell them they have options.

1) pay or 2) you get a lawyer. Be prepared to get the lawyer if they call your bluff.

I dunno squat about CA laws, but that advice has served me well in the past.

Only thing that may be problematic is it's your girlfriends car, not yours so she has to be the one to take on the insurance company even if your money is in her car, it's still hers. Wierd thought but if your property was damaged you could possibly go after the insurace seperatly. (that question is for a lawyer though)

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I recently had to do this with a contractor at my place of business...in the course of his work, he damaged our roof, and we didn't know it until the next rainfall...caused over $6,000 in damages and cleanup costs. His insurance company was trying to negotiate with us in paying a fraction of the costs, even though they agreed the contractor was completely at fault. So we had our insurance agent call their insurance company, told them if they continued to bargain in bad faith they would open themselves up to a major lawsuit under Michigan insurance fraud statutes...and we got payment in full the next day.

Not that this has anything to do with auto insurance, but it might help to get your girlfriend's insurance company involved, before you need a lawyer.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I had her send a letter authorizing me to handle negotiations for vehicle damage, an attorney will deal with probable medical settlement. She is having a lot of pain. I have some estimates, and evaluations pending, and will be spending a lot of time digging thru the cvc and insurance codes this week.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)