Is this legal?

I have a nearly complete project vehicle I've put together out of salvage parts. The title situation for the VIN that came with the body I used is hopelessly murky.

The DMV folks do not like this and do not want to let me register it without a title. I suppose I don't absolutely HAVE to license it, but it would be nice to occasionally be able to drive it on the road, to get back and forth to the trail.

What I have in mind to do is to find someone who will sell me a title and VIN plate from an old junked rig. Then I just stick the plate in the jeep and register it, done deal.

What I'm not sure of, though, is how "naughty" this is. I certainly don't want to risk fines or jail time for this shenanigan. On the spectrum of "dubious but not illegal" to "major felony", where would this activity fall?

Reply to
sm3gurpal

It falls under "Don't do it." and your probably not going to find a junkyard that will sell you a vin plate. Mainly because it's illegal to do so in most if not all states. That and the rivets for holding the VIN tag are not normal pop-rivets, it's one of the first things an officer is going to notice and will assume from that the car is probably stolen.

Call the DMV main office in your state (TX?) and ask to talk with someone on this subject. Most places will help but be prepared for paperwork. You may have to provide receipts for the parts and have the vehicle tested for proper brakes/lights/etc.

Good luck.

Reply to
DougW

I know a few people that have done it in Calif - they said it was legal........ clinical testimonial is not necessarily the most valid source of info, but it's a start

Reply to
Carlo Jr.

Reply to
Jeff

That is what I was going to ask too.

I know here in Canada new VIN's can be issued and one that has no record can be made valid again. You might have to swear in front of a JP that you actually did build the thing from parts, but so what. Paperwork can be worked through, just takes time.

Same for a 'glass tub or something, the DMV will put the VIN tag on it for you with the 'special' rivets so the cops don't always want to bust you for stealing a Jeep.

Mike

Slim_Shady_M>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
Scott

In most states you can title a vehicle like this as "owner-assembled" or similar. Will probably require some sort of safety inspection. Check with your Secretary of State office.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

I know that's the standard for most late model cars, but are you sure that's the case for CJs? My rivets look pretty ordinary. Seems like I heard that this is normal for those models... I have also heard that they don't have the "hidden" VIN plate squirreled away in some secret body location, like most cars do now. (Maybe because CJs were made in the 70s, back before people started stealing cars? )

You know, now that I think about it... if I have ordinary rivets, and I'm mistaken, and CJs really SHOULD have the funky anti-theft rivets.... *sigh* I don't even want to think about how much trouble I've got in store if I try to title this.

Reply to
sm3gurpal

When I redid the dash on my 1977 Volkswagen Bug I used ordinary pop rivets to put the (original) dash VIN number plate back. I sold the vehicle to a guy from New York, which is a picky state too, and he never had any trouble getting it titled. Of course on that vehicle the dash plate matched the number stamped on the transmission tunnel...

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I've seen it done many times actually. Never seen anybody get caught either. I just wouldn't spread the word that you did it.

Mr. Bill at a 4 way stop.....the vehicle with the largest wheels has the right of way My Jeep is not an SUV....your SUV is not a Jeep

Reply to
AUTOKAWKR

I got new rivets with my wiper motor cover. I got it from 4wheel hardware. DMV never blinked an eye here in Commiefornia.

Reply to
Richard Harris

You forgot to end your petty taunt with "nanny nanny boo boo."

Reply to
sm3gurpal

I don't understand. If you have the title in your hand, and it matches the VIN on the vehicle, then you should be golden. If the title is not in your name, then you need the transfer papers, and this could be an issue. If you have a title and a VIN that do not match, then you have another issue, and there isn't going to be enough transfer papers to get a clear title.

You can also apply for a new VIN by telling them you built the vehicle from scratch. But, they will probably want to have a look at the new parts.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland