Jeep Accident - into mine shaft

Here is a photo for you

That is a photo I of a vertical mine shaft, at the bottom (approx 60 feet but the photo does not look like it), is a willy's pickup. It is usually difficult to see the jeep, but this guy was able to get a good photo of it. A neighbor of mine actually was driving, went over a hill (tailing pile), through a fence, and into the shaft. The jeep had a well build cage that kind of rattled it's way to the bottom saving both of their lives. The passenger was able to climb out of the shaft using the fence that was drug down with them, and call for help. The driver was rescued approx 8 hours later by search and rescue who had to extract him from the wreck. This must have happened close to 15 years go, it is just a story that has recently surfaced again because someone else notice the jeep in the mine. Thought I would share.

Reply to
Rusted

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Many years ago, I was stationed at an air base in the high desert. We would occasionally help out on search and rescue. We responded to a missing dirt bike rider. Seems the night before he had been drinking and took off on the bike. Anyway, we found him later that day. He had ridden into a vertical shaft. After we repelled down and lifted him out on a stokes, his buddies waned us to winch out the bike. Guess its still there. Probably should try to find it some day just to see.

Reply to
K Horner

That would make a darn good entry in a 'worst stuck' photo contest. TrailMarker

Reply to
carrollcaboodle