1984 CJ-7

I've had one week to survey my wife's CJ-7. Other than being a rolling rust bucket, with nothing that works right, it ain't got no problems at all. The first challenge is to find out why the cloth doors don't fit, or latch, onto the jagged piece of metal acting as a door latch on the body door opening. I did find out that the raggedy top was made by Bestop. I have no idea about the cloth covered doors.

I'll have to get the doors to work right before I can drive it to some self proclaimed Jeep expert to ask him to adjust the clutch pedal and rig up a manual choke for the carburetor. That's just the beginning, and I know it. The ignition switch is harder to turn than stopping a hookin bull with a ping pong ball.

The reason for this post is to pass on a store that carries the original Factory Service Manual for this 1984 CJ-7.

Their name is Bishko Auto Literature; located in Piqua, Ohio.

Their web site is: autobooksbishko.com

They're pricey: the FSM for this 1984 CJ-7 cost $89.00 plus S&H.

I need all the help I can get. I'm too old to do the work myself, and I've run out of cuss words in English, Spanish, Japanese and German.

Enywhey... The above mentioned book store is helpful and they provide exactly as they advertise.

Hope this helps somebody. Matt Phrum Tejas

Reply to
ambrin

The soft top doors, if they are OEM style, only latch to the soft top frame. I use a bunjy cord I tied to the roll bar to hook on the handle. It works for top off and I have never had a cop give it any problems in the last 5 years of use. I have seen photos of others that left the soft top door frame up using the top center of the window footman loop as the anchor.

You also can flip the handles inside out and use those soft doors on the factory hard top.

WD40 is a decent cleaner solvent for the sticky key switch or tell the wife not to cut the wheel to the side before turning it off, the lock pin can grab tight on all CJ's if the steering wheel is turned under load.

I also recommend the cheap Haynes CJ manual. It is excellent for wiring and most repairs. Simple too.

The carb needs a manual choke. The auto parts stores sell kits for them. The carbs also really benefit from a fresh carb kit. The kit is about twenty bucks and is easy to put in.

Mike

Mike Romain