Jeep CJ7 Mopar MPFI - Failed California Smog Test

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Well...... he is sleeping with a Kennedy...

Reply to
billy ray

Pretty much anything that raises the combustion temperature is a suspect for high NOX. Crapped out cat, possibly just running too lean. If a good run takes it under the limit, figure you'll want to check/replace the cat before the next bi-annual. The smog stations are supposed to let the engine cool down before testing, but even the test only stations seem to want you in and out asap.

Jeff Strickland proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Stand by to repel boarders !

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

I thought I heard he refused to send troops to the border and they had to bring down yankee boys to do their job.

Reply to
billy ray

It's not often that North Carolina is more enlightened then other states but this is one of those times.

In NC if a vehicle is 35 years old or older it is exempt from all inspection requirements, and we can run plates from year of manufacture without having to notify the DMV (of course you have to have a current plate and registration in the car with you).

So I drove my Studebaker pickup through one of those "Click it or ticket" checkpoints a while back, no seatbelts, no inspection sticker, and a plate that expired in 1961 and the only comment from the Highway Patrolman was "Have a nice evening"

Jeff DeWitt

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote:

JeffDeWitt

No. I never said I had to go to a control station. The first time I went for smog, the tester was an idiot -- newbie -- that did not know what he was doing, and he caused the machine to demand I call the control station. The guy I called asked me, so why are yo calling me? He sent me, via phone conversation, back to the original smog shop. Once I got past the newbie, I've never had a problem again.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You apparently don't know ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

High temps _lower_ the NOX.

Crapped out cat, possibly just running too lean. If a

I agree with that.

The smog stations are supposed to

My car failed the low speed test, but passed the high speed test. It left me wondering why they do the low speed first on a cold engine when if they do the test on a hot engine, it will pass. If the high speed test was done first, the engine would come to temp and pass on the low speed test.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Jeff Strickland proclaimed:

Sorry, but wrong. NOX is formed when the compression and/or temperature is high enough to get the nitrogen in common air to react with oxygen to form one of the nitrogen oxides.

Nitrogen doesn't combine easily at either lower compression or lower combustion temperatures.

"NOx emissions are formed when enough heat and pressure exist in a vehicle's combustion chamber to combine oxygen with nitrogen. In the

1970s, vehicle manufacturers attempted to control NOx emissions by preventing their formation. They lowered compression ratios (compared to 1960s levels), retarded ignition and cam timing, and installed exhaust gas re-circulation components to lower combustion temperature. "
Reply to
Lon

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:16:53 -0700, "L.W.(Bill) Hughes III" Amazingly Replied without Prejudice below:

:> Thanks, glad to hear, I must have been thinking of someone else's :>problem. Must be a new experience for you, thinking I mean!

The Lurkers Creed: 'Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool... Than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt".

Reply to
24Bit

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 19:55:57 -0700, "L.W.(Bill) Hughes III" Amazingly Replied without Prejudice below:

Just thought I'd follow you here because you ran off so fast from A.B.P.A. and wondered why you didn't answer the questions I had asked except with your standard BS below! Shell we get back to it, or you going to run off again?

:> See another example of taking responsibility for one's actions. An :>impossibility ofr cowards too afraid to use a real name and address. :>

:>"24Bit®" wrote: :>>

:>> Must be a new experience for you, thinking I mean!

Reply to
24Bit

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 20:42:59 -0700, "L.W.(Bill) Hughes III" Amazingly Replied without Prejudice below:

Not at 2am in the morning, but then again you do strange things! And there you go again, trying to change the subject at hand! Would you like a repost so you can get back to the allegations?

:> I thought I go fishing, you ever go deep sea fishing? :>

:>"24Bit®" wrote: :>>

:>> :>> Just thought I'd follow you here because you ran off so fast from :>> A.B.P.A. and wondered why you didn't answer the questions I had asked :>> except with your standard BS below! :>> Shell we get back to it, or you going to run off again?

Reply to
24Bit

_Wrong_ NOx is formed when combustion temp is high.

'Cool down' is a bit misleading. They don't want you 'preconditioning' the vehicle by trying to heat up the cat, but the vehicle needs to be tested at normal operating temperature. So, you're supposed to let it idle until up to temp. The idea is that they've allowed enough time in the test for the cat to 'heat up' while the loaded mode test is running. If it doesn't, there's something wrong.

A 'cool' cat converter is a sure way to fail for high NOx emissions, since the cat needs to be hot to rip the nitrogen loose from the oxygen. Too much O2 can also reduce the cat's ability to reduce NOx, so an exhaust leak upstream of the cat can cause problems too.

The engine is supposed to be at normal operating temp before the test begins.

Reply to
bllsht

Sorry, I was thinking that high CAT temps was the goal of having a "hot" engine during a smog test. High CAT Temps _lower_ the NOx readings.

Which is what I said earlier. One wants the CAT to be hot in order to keep NOx numbers low.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland