Jeep engine or Jeep engine History questions.

OK, I know this has been discussed before, but someone hit me with a new one that I question.

This entity is saying that the 96-98 Dodge Dakota uses the 'AMC' 4 cylinder engine so that bell housing, clutch and slave and tranny will bolt right up to a 95 YJ 4 banger.

They also state the 'AMC' 4 banger is really a 232 with 2 cylinders chopped off. I have heard this, but don't know if it is valid.

Anyone have any links I can read and pass on if needed?

Thanks,

Mike

(More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page
Reply to
Mike Romain

MY recollection is that the 4-banger is the old GM Iron Duke, which is the inline 6 with two chopped off. Having said that, the math does not work out quite right. divide 232 by 6 then multiply the result by 4. The answer is closer to 155 than 151.

It makes sense that DC would put the same 4 into a Dakota that it put into the Jeep, but I have no knowledge that they actually did that.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The Dakota bellhousing is used to mate an AX15 to the 4 cylinder engine according to this link:

nrs

Seems like we went through this a while back.

As I recall AMC decided they needed a 4cyl engine of their own, so they took the 232/258 six, lopped off two cylinders, redesigned the head so it would flow better and that was the four. They then modified the old six and used a six cylinder version of the new head to create the 4.0 that we know so well. Last time we had this discussion I looked it up and for what it's worth the AMC 4 cyl and the 4.0 6 use the same valves.

What DC put in a Dodge I have NO idea.

What do the parts books say about the part numbers for those clutch pieces for a 4 cyl Dodge and a 4 cyl Jeep?

Jeff DeWitt

Mike Roma> OK, I know this has been discussed before, but someone hit me with a new

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Yes, it is the AMC 2.5L four in the Dakota. It's a shortened 258.

Reply to
bllsht

The GM 4 cyl went away in '84 and was replaced by the AMC 4.

Your math would only work if they used the same bore & stroke.

Reply to
bllsht

Engine info

billy ray