Jeep to the rescue

A jeep helps a plane land

Kevin C.

That was crazy. I just about called "BS" before I watched the clip. Amazing! n.

Reply to
Nathan Otis

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

The best part is the invistigation is not to explore this as a possible new property and life savings method but to see if the rescuers can be charged with any possible wrongdoing.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I know quite a few people who have landed gear-up. I don't consider it life threatening. The only property damage is to the engine (sudden stoppage when the prop hits the ground can cause lots of damage) and the undercarriage of the plane.

Standing up under a plane with a spinning meat cleaver on the front qualifies as life threatening in my book.

- Steve (gear down and welded)

Reply to
Steve Foley

Actually, the military taught that the prop was to be stopped in a horizonal position to minimize damage and the a/c was to be landed with no power - at least that's my memory of it. Now, just how to choose that position with a 3 or 4 blade prop, I have no idea but I can definitely say that even with a 3-bladed prop as long as it was stopped before hitting the runway the most common damage was to the prop alone. Change props, fix a little road rash on the bottom side, test hop it and you are done.

Ever see the recoveries of the the U2? A pickup truck ran along side it during landing and the pilot lowered the wing onto the pickup. The U2 had two sets of wheels on the center line and 2 outriggers that fell off during takeoff.

The scheme they used was not that uncomm> I know quite a few people who have landed gear-up. I don't consider it life

Reply to
Will Honea

I agree with you with the news reporter's odd view of the situation.

The interesting thing about aviation, is that a pilot can pretty much break any rule in an emergency.

Reply to
B a r r y

Err, not really. Given the dangers of flight (risks to those in and in the path of a plane), that it's heavily regulated is a GOOD thing.

Odd how? It was pretty bland.

Reply to
wkearney99